Do I have Bacteria in my carboy??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRC1985

Reaction score
Hey guys...I am on day 11 of fermenting, so it is almost ready to take out.
However this sud like substance began growing in my brew on about day 3, I was hoping it would 'dissolve', that is not the case.
Not sure if it is bacteria or not....some advice please :)

Pictures

photo.jpg

Doesn't look like it to me... looks like trub. A close up would be better though.. Take a hydrometer reading and give 'er a taste.

Subbing... Never seen yellow trub.

Also wondering if it really is THAT yellow. Seems like the color balance in that photo may be off, everything else is washed out except the yellow (like the yellow object behind the carboy is really bright).

looks like hop particles, break material, trub, yeast crap, krausen. it looks normal, unless there is something i'm not seeing here.

Agreed, looks like yeast rafts. I would wait a week and see if they fall out. Color looks a bit mustard-like in the photo, so I'm wondering if it's just the photo quality.

WhineinAlbany said:
Agreed, looks like yeast rafts. I would wait a week and see if they fall out. Color looks a bit mustard-like in the photo, so I'm wondering if it's just the photo quality.

Yes, mustard color is due to flash. Actual color is a darker shade of green.

I'm going to begin my grav readings today.

Thanks all for the feedback :)

If its green and not yellow then I'd say thats normal. I was alarmed at the turbo yellow color.

Back