Do I have a runined batch of wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattwaddy

Reaction score
I bottled some blackberry/elder/damson mix that is around 8 months old the other day, I've just noticed that there is a fluorescent (possibly green) on the inside of a few of the bottles. I'm a little worries that something has reacted, or failed to steralise correctly?

Its in patches as far as I can tell, the bottles were washed then VTP'd and then washed with cold water the way i've done it every time previously

Any advice greatly appreciated, fyi they are located in my kitchen in the sunlight, the kitchen also ranges from 2* to 18* during day/night as it was an old single brick out house at some point

20161212_213222.jpg

20161212_213342.jpg

It's something growing on the inside the the glass...I'd open the worst one, try it, and pray!

Never experienced this myself but elderberries can produce a green sludge. Did you notice this when you were fermenting those berries? I hear that some wine makers boil elderberries to remove the gunk...

The only thing that makes some sense maybe, is that I placed the wine in a bottling bucket, with a two part finings for 48hrs, but when I bottled for the first time ever I didn't have the cap on the end of my auto syphon so it will have sucked up some sediment including some of the finings possibly which may have clung to the side of the bottles possibly?

Back