Do I have a bottle bomb waiting to happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePenn

Reaction score
I bottled a Venom clone from DuClaws out here in Maryland, in preperation for bottling a Fat Tire clone I moved my bottle to a new location in my closet. A closer look I found that all but two looked like the first picture. One has an excess of foam and the other has a little guy floating at the top, not sure if this little guy is going to do damage to my taste buds or if it might be some floaters that made its way through my bottling wand. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

DSCN0510.jpg

DSCN0511.jpg

DSCN0512.jpg

what the hell is that in the last picture - a tab of lsd?

the first picture looks fine to me but maybe i'm missing something... what are we supposed to be seeing? or is that the "OK" bottle?

pic #2 is a little strange and potentially concerning. was the bottle shaken up a lot?

only sure way to tell: smell and taste. if it tastes a little off but is drinkable, you might have something starting in there and you should probably drink them ASAP. if they smell and taste fine, well, chances are good that your beer is fine. take note of carbonation, i.e. how much hiss you get when you open, how much foaming, etc. you might want to do the first one in the sink just in case you have a gusher.

Yeah i should have explained, the first one was the "ok" bottle, the rest of the batch looks that way so I am guessing and HOPING that maybe one or two bottles were not sanitized completely. Guess I should have clairified it was the "ok" bottle but who am I kinding of course you know what an "ok" bottle looks like I can here for the advice didn't I?

Yeah i should have explained, the first one was the "ok" bottle, the rest of the batch looks that way so I am guessing and HOPING that maybe one or two bottles were not sanitized completely. Guess I should have clairified it was the "ok" bottle but who am I kinding of course you know what an "ok" bottle looks like I can here for the advice didn't I?

Probably fine. May be a bottle sanitation issue. I wouldnt worry too much about it till I tasted them. How long did you leave them in the fermenter before bottling?

Had this guy fermenting for 3 weeks in the primary then bottled, I am very proud of my self control because of bad timing and holiday visitation schedule with the SWMBO's family I was unable to RDWHB. I decided that a schedule needs to be in place to ensure that this holiday mistake doesn't happen again but hey I just started homebrewing. Lessons Learned.

3 weeks in primary, Im positive you dont have bottle bombs!
a wild yeast or bacterial infection can result in gushers or bottle bombs. so 3 weeks will ensure that the sacc is done, but there could be other reasons. the film/scum in the second picture could be indicative of just such an infection (or it could be nothing).

Update time, the one with the foam on the top, not sure where it came from but it tasted perfectly fine. The one with the floating "LSD" tab, well after having a couple of sips the after taste was unbearable and the flavor was masked, not sure what the off flavor was but it wasnt right. I ended up pouring the brew without getting the floater and poured that into a wine glass. Here it is for you viewing pleasure

DSCN0516.jpg

Back