Do hefeweizens really benefit from secondary/long primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVarmy

Reaction score
I've had an extract citrus hefeweizen fermenting for about two weeks. The airlock still bubbles occassionally, but the hydrometer says it's done as far as I can tell. It smells rubbery/sulfury, but from what I hear, that goes away with bottling and carbonation. Am I safe to bottle yet, or should I do a long primary even though the beer won't really clear? I noticed that EdWort's hefeweizen only lists a 10 day primary and no secondary, so I was wondering if I'd be okay.

I could wait until next week, but this is my first batch so I'm a bit anxious. Plus, I'm getting the ingredients for a stout and I'd like to free up the better bottle.

I'm using WLP300 yeast, hence the odor.

I'm concerned about "rubbery/sulfury" with WLP300. Bananas is more descriptive. What temp did you ferment at? If your hydrometer says it's done then bottle it up. No secondary for a Hefe, or most beers as far as that goes.

Hefs are generally best when they are young. They don't tend to age as well as many other beers. If you are at two weeks and the hydro says it is done, then go ahead and bottle. Many hef yeasts will throw some sulphur, and that will mellow out as it conditions in the bottle or keg.

I just made my first hefe, I bottled it after 2 weeks. Mine was down to 1.012 in 2 days, I left it in the primary for 2 weeks and straight to the bottles. It was 1.012 when I bottled.

I was originally going to wait 3 weeks, but I read its best to drink them young so I figured why not bottle them now? I'll give them a try in 2-3 weeks :)

I made a HW that I kept in the primary for 34 days that won Best of Show.

I secondary every beer.

With HWs if they get too clear I just suck up some yeast into the keg or bottling bucket to get it cloudy again while leaving the majority of it behind. ;)

EdWort's hefeweizen only lists a 10 day primary and no secondary, so I was wondering if I'd be okay.

I know a lot of people are sold on the belief that hefes don't need very much time in the primary and no time in secondaries, but I think that is advice for crappy beer. There is nothing about waiting an extra week or two or three, before bottling or kegging that will hurt your hefe. Instead you will be giving your beer time to clear itself of all the nasty off flavors - namely sulfur and hash yeastiness - and tone down some of those esters. It seems like home brewers often assume that gut wrenching yeast and banana flavors are the hallmark of a good hefe. I say let your hefe sit around in your primary a little longer and you'll be rewarded with a beer that is both cleaner tasting and more balanced. ;)

Latest posts

Back