Do golden naked oats need to be mashed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjohnson

Reaction score
I'm planning on using the second runnings of a larger beer for a mild and was thinking about steeping some crystal and golden naked oats in the wort. My intuition is that golden naked oats are a light crystal and don't need to be converted. Is that right?

Should they be milled?

I was going to use them in-place of of a rolled or flaked oat in a stout recipe so was did not put them through the mill. I was also thinking about toasting them in the oven. Thoughts?

philnick said:
Should they be milled?

I was going to use them in-place of of a rolled or flaked oat in a stout recipe so was did not put them through the mill. I was also thinking about toasting them in the oven. Thoughts?

I don't mill any of my oats ever. Never heard of the kind your using but with flaked oats I don't mill. With steel cut oats I do bake them.

I don't mill any of my oats ever. Never heard of the kind your using but with flaked oats I don't mill. With steel cut oats I do bake them.

Yeah, seems like there are varying opinions out there. I don't mill my oats either.

Simpson's lists the product as a "Huskless oat crystal malt." So, this makes me wonder...

philnick said:
Yeah, seems like there are varying opinions out there. I don't mill my oats either.

Simpson's lists the product as a "Huskless oat crystal malt." So, this makes me wonder...

Maybe ask LHBS to see what they suggest?

Back