Do flavors mellow after sitting in the bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bottled my dark ale last night, getting a total of 51 bottles. I'm pretty happy with the taste... potentially. It's too sweet and too smokey, but I think both of those mellow out during carbonation?

There are only two things I'm not really pleased with. First, my target gravity was 1.012 but I only managed 1.019. Second, there is that same "yeasty" flavor I always get with all of my homebrews. All of our bottles have very little yeast in them thing time, but it has a yeasty front when you take a sip.

Thoughts?

A dark ale will definitely mature and mellow out over time. it is very hard to tell how goos or bad a beer is before carbonation. The beer is still changing. The carbonation changes the flavor a bit too in my experience.

Yeasty? Not ever had that one. I'll let others weigh in on that.

Carbonation provides some body and acidity to the beer, so the level of perceived sweetness will definitely change. I don't know what is causing the smoky flavor, unless you used smoked malt, so I don't know about that.

A yeasty flavor is generally caused by poor quality or stressed yeast. What kind of yeast have you been using in these "yeasty" batches, and how have you cared for it (fermentation temperature, pitching temperature, amount and type of yeast)?

In this case we used Safbrew T-58, 2 packets of dry yeast with OG @ 1.079 and FG @ 1.019.

Fermentation:
Pitched at ~72F
1st 12-ish hours at room temp, and then brought down to the basement for 3-ish weeks @ 66F. Did a final week in a water bath to keep the temp at 68F. Bottled and we're letting it sit in a 68-70F area of the house for 2 weeks, then we are going to cold crash them in our "walk in fridge" (enclosed porch).

Here's the actual recipe, if interested: http://www.boomchugalug.com/downloadables/recipes/nut_zippers.pdf

Back