Do fermometers work on plastic buckets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r8rphan

Reaction score
I've never fermented in buckets.. But I want to do a ten gallon APA batch (EdWorts Haus Ale) this weekend, and one of my two carboys is busy (It's five days into an IPA ferment)....

I'm thinking of using the only two plastic buckets I have that have spigots... Then I gotta figure out how I want to do the blow off tube thing...

Trying to figure out how to make this happen...

Then I gotta figure out how I want to do the blow off tube thing...

Airlockbo2.jpg

Do the white buckets block light sufficiently, or will I still need to wrap them in a towel?

The room is fairly bright with ambient daylight, but no direct sunlight should hit the things...

They block light well. I keep mine unwrapped and haven't had an issue. If it makes you feel better, though, wrapping it in a towel or t-shirt is fine too.

This is what I do as well, the only addition that I can make is be sure on the spike on that airlock to cut off the bottom where it has those little prongs that narrow it so you have a straight tube that wont plug so easily.

As far as a light, those opaque buckets should block the majority of ambient light, but I would cover mine with a dark colored t-shirt just to be safe.

that isn't my bucket, but it shows how the three piece can be modified into an blow-off.

I keep a old flannel jacket over my buckets just in case

I just figured out how to do the blow off.. All I need is a 1" male PVC adapter, locknut, and inch and a quarter no hub coupling for each bucket.. Then I can use my existing 1" ID blow off tubes...

After primary I can remove the blow offs and stick stoppers with a three piece in the pvc adapters...

I can take a daily peek in the blow off hole to see how things are going...

Back