Do Bugs Go On Sabatical?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My wild wheat had cranked away pretty slowly for about 5 days. At 64'F Now its stopped.

I haven't done a gravity check because I almost certain its not dropped much. The airlock activity wasn't anything like a ale strain,

I brought the temp up to 68'F. Its been three days and nothing going on from what I can tell.

Question: Is it likely another bug will take over in the days/weeks to come?

Probably not very likely. You really need to check your SG before you get yourself worked up about anything. More than likely it has been fermenting quite vigorously, but your high quality, precision, lab-grade fermentation gauge is out of calibration. Ignore the airlock as a sign of anything. Remember the words of the almighty Revvy, airlock activity is NOT a sign of fermentation or lack thereof.

Also remember it takes 2 weeks for Sacch. to set up camp in a wild fermentation. How long did you let your culture sit out for? At first it's just enteric bacteria which will make you sick and some weird yeasts (Kloekera) that aren't very usefull.

Ericd - This was my cultured chili jar. Which I happen to still have on had. Refrigerated it after picking a sample and nocing a starter.

Do you think I should yank it out for awhile? Maybe make another starter in a few weeks.

Ok, I'd leave your sample jar open for 2 weeks next time. If you are worried about condensation leave it by an opened window in your house. I'd say what's fermenting your beer now is Kloekera yeast, which isn't of much use in brewing as far as I can tell, although the biology pages I've seen about it say it's used in winemaking. Probably means it will only eat monosacharides.

As for your current beer, I'd leave it open either outside or by an opened window until it starts showing signs of activity again or just pitch some regular yeast and try again. Sorries :(

My luck is back! :rockin:

I did nothing, and now it looks as if something is happening. Lots of big and small bubbles are on the surface. Looks like a very thin layer of krausen. What does a pelicle look like when its first starting?

Its doing something, the airlock fluid level is showing positive pressure again.

I thought I'd share this. The bug is stuck in my airlock. Frickin' Slacker. :D

Actually, the bug is stuck in the plastic. I thought this one was really appropriate for this beer.

Bug_In_Airlock.jpg

Da beotch is crankin' ( Not best video but you can see the snow!) I like the burp of the airlock at 10 seconds!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool, what is that plastic stuff with holes we're looking thru?

I was temped to yank it out of that for the video. May have to do that. I didn't want to disturb the activity just for a video.

This sounds like a n00b question. Does moving a fermenter in full stride have a down side if it gets jostled around?

Back