Quantcast

Do bittering hops mellow with bottle conditioning?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Rolly

Reaction score
Just brewed my first batch...an American Brown Ale. I just cracked my first one to give it an open-minded taste test after conditioning for two weeks. It tastes great, but the bitterness is a little more than I expected.

I did a full 5 gallon boil that got pretty vigorous. My 60 min addition per the recipe was 1oz of US Goldings. Since the kit instructions were not written for a full boil, I held back a few of the pellets, but didn't measure or anything (no scale). It's still pretty bitter...so not as balanced as I was expecting.

So will another few weeks in the bottle make the bitterness subside and balance out a little?

Thanks

OP
R

Rolly

Reaction score
The beer did sit on quite a bit of trub when it was in primary. When I was draining the kettle into primary, I looked away for a split second and it was all in the primary. I don't know if the beer sitting on the hop particles for ten days would have done it or not.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The beer did sit on quite a bit of trub when it was in primary. When I was draining the kettle into primary, I looked away for a split second and it was all in the primary. I don't know if the beer sitting on the hop particles for ten days would have done it or not.
No....Bitterness comes from the BOIL, and the amount and alpha acid units the hops had. That is the 60 minute addition. Once the alpha acids have been isomerized the bitterness is in the liquid. It is not from contact with hop leaf particles. They are long since spent.

dotnetdotcom

Reaction score
In September, I bottled an APA that had some lemon zest and corriander in the recipe. After 2 weeks I tried one and was really disappointed with it's harsh bitterness. I thought maybe I got some of the pith from the lemon rind in it. I noticed an improvement after 4 weeks. Now, after 6 weeks or so it tastes really good.