DMS in Bottled Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theskibum

Reaction score
Hello all,

Firstly, I've been reading and learning from you all for while now and would like to thank you for all the knowledge and experience you've shared.

Now to the question. I've recently moved to all-grain brewing and my first batch has a serious DMS off flavor. It's been in bottles for over 5 weeks now and the DMS is still strong. I was wondering if there is any hope of it diminishing through aging, or is it there to stay.

Thanks

I brewed a batch in January that had strong DMS flavors. It was in a keg for about a month when I decided to dump most of it. I bottled a six pack to test see if it improved with age. Two weeks ago, I opened one to taste it and it still had a very strong corn flavor. I ended up using the six pack to boil some brats instead.

So after six months it did not improve. So my conclusion is that DMS does not diminish through aging.

DMS does not subside with time.

To prevent:
Give your wort a very hard boil and go 90 minutes if you're using pilsner.
Reduce your wort temp to below 140 degrees as quickly as possible.
Never cover your wort while boiling or post boil (when still hot).

I just brewed a partial mash Wit using 3 lbs Pilsner and it has a serious cooked corn smell. I opened up the bucket and was smacked in the face with it! I am assuming it is DMS. I boiled for 75 minutes or so, and never keep the lid on when i boil. Should I even bother with it, or give it time? It has been in the fermenter for 7 days now. I probably will keep it for another week at least and see what happens, but just wondering if anyone had any luck saving a possible DMS batch?

I just brewed a partial mash Wit using 3 lbs Pilsner and it has a serious cooked corn smell. I opened up the bucket and was smacked in the face with it! I am assuming it is DMS. I boiled for 75 minutes or so, and never keep the lid on when i boil. Should I even bother with it, or give it time? It has been in the fermenter for 7 days now. I probably will keep it for another week at least and see what happens, but just wondering if anyone had any luck saving a possible DMS batch?

Never judge a beer by its aroma or taste whilst it is fermenting.

See it through till you have a finished product...cleared...chilled...and carb'd. Then judge.

Never judge a beer by its aroma or taste whilst it is fermenting.

See it through till you have a finished product...cleared...chilled...and carb'd. Then judge.

+1. Fermentation is weird.

Let it finish and get well down the road before you make a dump/no dump decision. Your yeast still have a lot of off-gassing to do.

Gordie.

Back