DME vs. Priming Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chask31

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is the difference between priming with DME and priming sugar (corn sugar)?

Is it flavor?

I have recipes that say to prime with dme but I figured it is alot cheaper to use corn sugar.

chask31 said:
What is the difference between priming with DME and priming sugar (corn sugar)?

Is it flavor?

I have recipes that say to prime with dme but I figured it is alot cheaper to use corn sugar.

i am a beginner, but (and correct me if i am wrong) it seems corn sugar can cause some off flavors, such as a cidery taste.

it's been recommended to me that i use DME instead of corn sugar for a better tasting beer..

my first brew is underway right now with corn sugar. however, another guy i know from a guitar forum gave me this information and my local LHBS confirmed it. After they sold me the corn sugar. :mad:

Corn sugar doesn't cause cidery flavors, table (sucrose) does in larger quantities.
Corn sugar ferments 100%, DME will attenuate 70-80%.
Flavor changes? Small in any case, but a great source of debate.
Split a batch, prime half with DME, half with corn sugar and you'd have the answer for that type of ale. Or at least that batch.

david_42 said:
Flavor changes? Small in any case, but a great source of debate.

So this is a great source of debate it sounds like.

i have heard two sides to the story, with claims of big differences in taste and claims of small differences in taste.

interesting..., sounds subjective, i guess...

maybe a side by side comparison is what is needed for forming my opinion.

Sucrose & glucose (corn sugar) will only give you a cidery taste if you're using it for a huge amount of your fermentables. You will have no problems with using a small amount for priming. Heres what it comes down to IMO

DME: Takes longer to carbonate, however some people report smaller bubbles and a tighter head.

Glucose (corn sugar): Carbonates quickly, however some people report larger 'soda-like' bubbles.

I use both depending on what i'm brewing. Best thing is to experiment.

mysterio said:
Sucrose & glucose (corn sugar) will only give you a cidery taste if you're using it for a huge amount of your fermentables. You will have no problems with using a small amount for priming. Heres what it comes down to IMO

DME: Takes longer to carbonate, however some people report smaller bubbles and a tighter head.

Glucose (corn sugar): Carbonates quickly, however some people report larger 'soda-like' bubbles.

I use both depending on what i'm brewing. Best thing is to experiment.

ok, maybe what i mis-understood here was the priming part.

by priming, what exactly to you mean?

and if i used only corn sugar from the start (added to my primary for fermentation), then the cidery taste might apply, correct?

Priming is adding a small amount of sugar (usually 3/4 cup) to the fully fermented beer before bottling in order to produce carbonation in the bottle/keg.

Yeah, If you used a large amount to supplement DME or a kit at the start you might get the cidery flavours.

mysterio said:
Priming is adding a small amount of sugar (usually 3/4 cup) to the fully fermented beer before bottling in order to produce carbonation in the bottle/keg.

Yeah, If you used a large amount to supplement DME or a kit at the start you might get the cidery flavours.

ok, i understand now...

so if i have already started with over 2 lbs of corn sugar for primary fermentation, it would not help to prime with DME at this point?

i will try using DME for my whole batch next time...

For me personally, I like to add all the flavors to my beer from the beginning, not at the end during bottling. Besides, the contribution from DME will be very "diluted" when you add it to 5 gallons of beer. DME supposedly gives you better head retention and also contains additional unfermentables that contribute to head retention and mouthfeel...but I personally can't really tell much of a difference. So as a general rule I use corn sugar for priming (3/4 cup). Here is a great article from BYO that goes into a little more detail.
Priming is the addition of additional fermentables to the beer immediately prior to bottling. This addition gives the yeast "food" for carbonation.

Marc.

mbreen01 said:
For me personally, I like to add all the flavors to my beer from the beginning, not at the end during bottling. Besides, the contribution from DME will be very "diluted" when you add it to 5 gallons of beer. DME supposedly gives you better head retention and also contains additional unfermentables that contribute to head retention and mouthfeel...but I personally can't really tell much of a difference. So as a general rule I use corn sugar for priming (3/4 cup). Here is a great article from BYO that goes into a little more detail.
Priming is the addition of additional fermentables to the beer immediately prior to bottling. This addition gives the yeast "food" for carbonation.

Marc.

thanks for the head up...

Back