DME vs LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrey

Reaction score
Are DME and LME interchangable?

If a recipe calls for 6# of LME can you change it too 6# DME

Also, what would be the advantages/disadvantages of doing something like this.

I thought I heard that LME will cause the extract twing and will color the beer differently. I am going to make a Hefe next (I think "witch's brew") and I want that nice color that comes with Hefes

I think they are interchangable, however 1# DME doesn't exactly equal 1# LME. One or the other of them is stronger than the other, I just don't remember which.

I was thinking that 1.1 # LME was about the same as 1 # DME, but it might be the other way around, I'm not really sure.

Thanks for the responses, I have 2 more questions.

Can I add just a little more malt extract to a recipe without screwing up the taste. Most of my brews have been pretty low ABV on accident (under 4%)?

What are your thoughts on adding half of the extract at the beginning of the boil and half near the end? Seems like you might not caramelize the sugars as much resulting in a lighter colored beer.

Wrey said:
Thanks for the responses, I have 2 more questions.

Can I add just a little more malt extract to a recipe without screwing up the taste. Most of my brews have been pretty low ABV on accident (under 4%)?

What are your thoughts on adding half of the extract at the beginning of the boil and half near the end? Seems like you might not caramelize the sugars as much resulting in a lighter colored beer.
You will unbalance the hopping a bit, but unless you go way over the recipe it shouldn't matter too much. Brewing software can help you adjust the recipe but keep the flavour profile.

That extract method you mention is called 'late extract addition' and it will definitely help keep the beer lighter in colour but it also increases your hops utilization (meaning you need less for hops for the same bittering). Do a search and you'll find lots of great threads with info.

Back