DME vs LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiGravShawn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've seen the comparisons (beginner sticky) and most cons don't affect me. The cost seems the same where I buy it (per pound I mean) and I usually buy what I need, when I need it as I don't have storage room for massive amounts.

DME though requires a ton of slow pouring and stirring or it will boil over in a second if I turn my back while I don't seem to get this from LME.

My question... why use DME? Ignoring the logistic/cost/etc... are there differences in how it works/tastes that makes it necessary? I mean say I'm designing a recipe and I want some Amber malt extract. Why would I have the recipe use two lbs DME vs two lbs LME?

Many folks can't get fresh LME, so they have to use it from cans that have been around for who knows how long. It's felt that that leads to "extract twang" taste in their beer. Some folks think all LME gives that flavor.

I buy mine in bulk at my LHBS and it's really fresh. I've never had "extract flavor" in my beers.

The only ones I usually see that use both are using specific types of DME or LME that aren't always available both ways. Most extract recipes and the vast majority of PM recipes just use one or the other. I've always used LME in mine because I think it's really easy to use and since I do partial mash that's heavy on the mash and light on the extract, I don't generally need special extracts. I can get my pils or wheat or munich in my mash and just fill it out a little with LME.

I prefer DME because it's easier to store, stays fresh longer and is cheaper than LME at my LHBS.

A stainless whisk makes quick work of lumps and such.

I'd rather use DME or canned LME than LHBS LME. Some LBHS cut their LME with sugar syrup.

LME seems to have more of a problem with FAN deficiency which can lead to under attenuation and twang.

LME is darker than DME.

DME stores better.

Latest posts

Back