DME vs liquid extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LME and DME are both used to build different styles of beer and enhance the flavor nuances of the different styles.

DME stores longer. I like to keep 6 pounds or so on hand in case I have to to whip up a quick pale ale to help keep the pipeline full.

The amounts of LME and DME do not correlate at a direct 1:1 ratio if converting between the two. I believe if using DME you can use slightly less than LME (as it is concentrated without liquids).

Thanks, I mostly use DME and was comparing the prices between the two. DME usually is a bit more expensive lb for lb. DME seems easier to work with for me. Anyone have a good online price for DME? I get it at my LHBS for $10.50 for 3lbs.

When I did extract and partial mash I would use DME when I was concerned about the color of the beer.

If color was not too much of a concern then I would use LME. My LHBS had LME in large 25 gallon drums so you could buy exactly the amount of LME you needed for your recipe.

When I did extract and partial mash I would use DME when I was concerned about the color of the beer.

If color was not too much of a concern then I would use LME. My LHBS had LME in large 25 gallon drums so you could buy exactly the amount of LME you needed for your recipe.

Thats a nice way to get it. Im always buying the 3lbs because for 1 lb they want $4.50. Mind as well get the 3lb. Thanks for the input.

Thats a nice way to get it. Im always buying the 3lbs because for 1 lb they want $4.50. Mind as well get the 3lb.

Back