DME types...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyro

Reaction score
Just a quick question about different brands of DME....specifecly, M&F and Briess. My LHBS tells me there is a difference between the two. They say M&F has more fermentable sugars than Briess. Is this correct? If so, How much? I would think 3 lbs of DME should equal 3 lbs of DME. I have a choice between brewing with M&F Ex-Light DME, and Briess Golden Light DME. If I brew with 6 lbs of Briess, is it equivelant to 5 lbs of M&F?? Or is the conversion not that drastic? It's definetly cheaper, so I'd think there'd be some merit to this statement. This will be a APA PM recipe with 3.5 lbs of grain(@155 for 45 min., sparged w/ 170 water) and 5-6 lbs DME. Going for something in the 6.5% range.

Your OG with any brand will be about the same, it will only affect the attenuation of your yeast. This means that only your FG will be affected, so you would still use the same amount regardless of brand, just perhaps pick a yeast with a higher attenuation for lower attenuating brands.

I know I have a chart somewhere in some book, but as I recall, Laaglanders is the only one with a real large difference as far as the FG numbers go, which leaves a much higher FG.

You could actually use your PM to change the attenuation of the beer. If you want a lower FG, mash around 150-153, average FG mash around 153-156, higher FG mash around 156-160. And I would go for a full hour on your mash to make sure you get full conversion.

The only real difference you MAY get is a difference in flavor profile. ilikestuff is right. Other than Laaglander (and maybe some other obscure manufacturer I am unaware of) you won't see a significant difference in OG or FG.

:tank:

Thanks for all the info. Ended up using 6lbs of Briess malt along with my 2.5 lbs PM grains and I don't know what my efficiency turned out to be, but I wound up w/ a OG of 1.063. I liked the price of the Briess compared to the Muntons, so pending that I like the flavor of the final product, I'll definiteley be using that from now on.

Back