DME No Boil Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Brew

Reaction score
Ok so I read over and over and pretty much knew myself that you really don't need to boil extract. I got to thinking, perhaps when you do boil it you reduce flavors, so I decided an experiment. Using purified spring water I put little over 1 gallon into my pot. Brown rice was already prepared, place it in a grain bag, into the water and brought that to slow boil for 30 minutes. During this time I added 1.5g of Yakima Citra and 1.5g of German Huell Melon. Now some folks say you get much done with the hops that way.. I have no idea actually.
Moving on.. at 30 mins I added in my DME Pilsen light (12oz) stirred in in and dissolved it, then cut the heat, continued to stir on occasion for about 10 mins then proceeded to chill down.

Now I came out with a very blondish wort. Pitched Safale US-04 Ale yeast
Fermentation went wild but slowed. So Just wondering how this will come out. I've heard so many people say OH NO don't add DME that late, you have to boil it. I'm a show me kind of guy so I guess we will see. I'm expecting a bit more flavor from the malt, I could be wrong.
I've hear the brown rice will impart a tad but of a nutty flavor. So I figured Blonde + Nutty = The Ditzy Blonde :D
Your thoughts?

Ok so I read over and over and pretty much knew myself that you really don't need to boil extract. I got to thinking, perhaps when you do boil it you reduce flavors, so I decided an experiment. Using purified spring water I put little over 1 gallon into my pot. Brown rice was already prepared, place it in a grain bag, into the water and brought that to slow boil for 30 minutes. During this time I added 1.5g of Yakima Citra and 1.5g of German Huell Melon. Now some folks say you get much done with the hops that way.. I have no idea actually.
Moving on.. at 30 mins I added in my DME Pilsen light (12oz) stirred in in and dissolved it, then cut the heat, continued to stir on occasion for about 10 mins then proceeded to chill down.

Fermentation went wild but slowed. So Just wondering how this will come out. I've heard so many people say OH NO don't add DME that late, you have to boil it. I'm a show me kind of guy so I guess we will see. I'm expecting a bit more flavor from the malt, I could be wrong.
I've hear the brown rice will impart a tad but of a nutty flavor. So I figured Blonde + Nutty = The Ditzy Blonde :D
Your thoughts?
Like the name! I've only been brewing about 2 1/2 years but I have never boiled dme or lme, just stir it in as soon as I finish the boil. I can't attest to if/how that affects flavor, color, etc., because I've never boiled dme but I've made some pretty tasty beers.

Your thoughts?
Like the name! I've only been brewing for a few years and I have never boiled dme or lme. I just stir it in after the boil is done. Don't know if boiling affects taste, color, etc., but I've brewed some pretty tasty beers.

I've heard so many people say OH NO don't add DME that late, you have to boil it.
Adding DME at flame-out is a well known approach and is well documented in 4e of How to Brew. The idea goes back at least a couple of decades (link).

I'm expecting a bit more flavor from the malt, I could be wrong.
[...]
Your thoughts?
You may want to setup a blind taste test for the "same" beer brewed two different ways

Adding DME at flame-out is a well known approach and is well documented in 4e of How to Brew. The idea goes back at least a couple of decades (link).

You may want to setup a blind taste test for the "same" beer brewed two different ways
I may do that, I followed one recipe that said boil the DME and it came out a light crisp beer, I went a bit heavy on hops but it wasnt bad at all.

I followed one recipe that said boil the DME and it came out a light crisp beer
That's a typical outcome for when brewing a good recipe with fresh DME/LME and low mineral water.

If you are reading forum posts related to troubleshooting brewing with "extract", try to answer these questions
  • what was the recommended use buy date of the specific brand of LME/DME that was used?
  • what was the mineral content of the water that was used?
If you can't answer those questions, be cautious using any proposed solution. Instead, focus on obtaining fresh ingredients and appropriate sources of water. Late additions of "extract" will not 1) lighten the existing color of the stale "extract", or 2) remove the off flavors that are already in the stale "extract".

That being said, adding DME/LME late in the boil is a time-proven approach for brewing 5 gal batches using 2.5 gal equipment (aka "stove top" brewing). Additionally, there are numerous "tips and tricks" for shortening the brew day with DME/LME (chilled top-up water, ...). Finally, my experience is that different brands of DME have slightly different flavors for the same style - so if one doesn't the the flavor from one brand DME/LME, consider giving a different brand a try.

Back