DME must be boiled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJM

Reaction score
Just bought a heating element to boil my wort. Turns out that the element doesnt get hot enough to produce a rolling boil. The water just gets to the point of a boil.....then backs off.

I brewed a small batch last night with grains, which I know can be steeped. But...I put DME in also....

Will it be ok?

The DME should be fine. As for hops, you want a rolling boil to extract the bitterness from them. You may want to increase your boil time a tad.

It should be sanitary in its packaging. However, you only need to hold something at around 160F or so for around 10 mins to kill germs anyway so you'd be fine in any case.

wrap your kettle in that foil insulation material (there's a post in the Equipment section)

that'll probably get you to a boil.

DJM said:
Just bought a heating element to boil my wort. Turns out that the element doesnt get hot enough to produce a rolling boil. The water just gets to the point of a boil.....then backs off.

I brewed a small batch last night with grains, which I know can be steeped. But...I put DME in also....

Will it be ok?

Never boil your grains. You'll extract harsh tannins that'll ruin your beer.

Back