DME lefterover recipe challenge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disasterjustavoided

Reaction score
I've got some odds and ends of ingredients that need using up and want to do a brew in an evening. Anyone fancy helping me come up with a recipe? I'm thinking a small batch extract brew using the spay malt (essentially DME) as the grains are a past there best I thought steeping them. Possibly even a 1 gallon batch.

Ingredients are

1 x 500g bag of spray malt
400g choc malt
180g Crystal
500g flaked barley
390g Black malt
300g Maris otter

Hops to choose from
40g Perle 7.1% AA
100g Fuggles 3.82% AA
100g Goldings 4.15% AA

Yeast - Nottingham.

Marris otter is a base grain & has to be mashed. What lovibond is the crystal? Is the DME light or what?

Thanks for the response and useful to know about mashing MO. The DME is medium and the Crystal is I think 55, very usefully its not on the packet. Its youngs brewing supplies CM.

Anyway I decided just to go ahead and have a go and ended up making the following beer. Really not sure how to describe it, was aiming for some kind of mild but I think I've ended up with too many IBU's.

500g bag spray malt
159g Crystal
41g Black malt

Steeped grains for 30mins

5g perle at 60
5g Fuggles at 30
5g Fuggles at 15
1 bay leaf at 13 (Read on BYO site that addition of bay leaves can work in a mild, worth a try.)

Pitched Danstar Nottingham ale yeast. OG 1045

5g hop additions seem a little light,but may well be proper for a mild. By medium DME I'm assuming it's like an amber? If so,it'd give a brown ale with the grains to my thinking.

Back