DME has to be the stickiest sh*t I've ever seen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
My spoon is covered in it, and it doesn't wanna come off lol. (Couldn't find the charismatic wooden one so I had to go with the stainless steel.) I suppose the best way to avoid this would be to clean up my mess before it dries, but does anyone know any tips for this sort of thing? Thanks

Yeah a sandblaster, or you could just buy a new spoon. :)

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I would also try soaking.

what he said...

dme is ruff that way, pour too much in, you got a block on concrete in yer kettle...

what i used to do is get the water hot enough to dissolve the dme, take it off the burner, then start stirring the wort and pouring a little dme in slowly, let the whirlpool mix it up, try and keep it off the bottom...

Thanks guys - I did the time-honored tradition of having my mom clean it up.
:p

And I'm definitely adding that stuff slower next time - it really is like a block of concrete lol.

Dragonfly said:

And I'm definitely adding that stuff slower next time - it really is like a block of concrete lol.

Nice work. Way to think outside of the box. :)

Dragonfly said:

An admirable solution...but one with limited applicability to most on this board I think.

Could substitute wife for mom I guess, but it my case I don't think I'd ever want to use that spoon again...assuming that it could even be retrieved from where she'd done shoved it :D

Yea - I'm gonna lose that amenity in a month when I move out, but I know I'll be able to round up some girls that'll clean my house in exchange for beer and a lil' attention. :D

No way!! If the SWMBO cleaned up after I brewed....all my equipment would be in the trash!!! LOL

blackcat_brewery.gif

I guess I'm lucky to have a wife that digs brewing as much as I! The hardest part is sharing the brewing time. We usually both want to brew on the same day and so "comprimises" must be made. <<read: she brews what she wants and I help her>>

It's cool though, never hear any griping about a messy kitchen. :cool:

The wife never complains about my brewing....if I dumped a bunch of dirty pots from brewing and expected her to clean them she would get pissed! Wouldn't really blame her. Anyway, she makes wine...I make the beer. All Good!! :D

blackcat_brewery.gif

Alaskaal(e)- does she have a sister?
BBQ BREW- That's one cool label!
DME is horrible stuff to work with. I have problems with it forming a "beard" on the bag while I'm pouring it. The steam hits it and it takes on a life of it's own, but that's the beauty of it. Without it , I'd have to be brewing A.G. by now. That's scary. :(

sudsmonkey said:
DME is horrible stuff to work with. I have problems with it forming a "beard" on the bag while I'm pouring it. The steam hits it and it takes on a life of it's own, but that's the beauty of it. Without it , I'd have to be brewing A.G. by now. That's scary. :(

She does, but I'm not sure how they feel about beer brewing in the convent.

You're scaring me! I'm planning on going all DME for my next.

Liquid Malt is just as bad. That crap gets EVERYWHERE and it doesn't clean up. When I poured my last batch from pot to primary, I spilled some on the floor. Luckily we were getting new flooring the next week. I washed the floor three times and I was still sticking to the floor each time I walked through the kitchen. I'm almost convinced it's worth the contamination risk to rack in the garage.

Cheesefood said:
You're scaring me! I'm planning on going all DME for my next...

When I was doing extracts (what, maybe up until a month ago!) I liked DME better than LME, depending on the recipe. And I like domestic LMEs - Breiss, Northwestern - better than some of the imports. Maybe it has something to do with freshness, I'm not sure. My HBS seems to rotate their John Bull stock quiclky, and I'd had good results with it.

I just think DME makes for a 'cleaner' extract beer, if that makes any sense. I have no scientific proof to back that up, however.

Hey, BTW, I went to Brew & Grow in Schaumburg after work tonight. Nice place! And the owner (I think he was the owner) gave out free samples of homebrew. I had three different styles and they were all very good. I loved his mild 'old' ale!

Rhoobarb said:
Hey, BTW, I went to Brew & Grow in Schaumburg after work tonight. Nice place! And the owner (I think he was the owner) gave out free samples of homebrew. I had three different styles and they were all very good. I loved his mild 'old' ale!

Awesome! Next time you're feeling adventurous, go have lunnch at The Assembly in Hoffman. They make a damn good homebrew and burgers that rival anything I've had anywhere.

B&G is a good place. A bit high on price, but good selection and knowledgeable folk working there. There's some interesting characters who go there for the Grow section. Probably not too many of them growing tomatoes in their basement which require the High Pressure Sodium lights they're buying.

Cheesefood said:
B&G is a good place. A bit high on price, but good selection and knowledgeable folk working there. There's some interesting characters who go there for the Grow section. Probably not too many of them growing tomatoes in their basement which require the High Pressure Sodium lights they're buying.

Are their guys in black SUV's sitting outside writing down the license plate numbers of everyone who goes into that place? :D

sudsmonkey said:

very new to brewing yet (stuff is still in the mail). I ran a search but it camp up empty. What is DME??

swh127 said:
very new to brewing yet (stuff is still in the mail). I ran a search but it camp up empty. What is DME??

Dry Malt Extract. Also referred to as "Spray" Malt every now and then.

I'm still in the extract brewing mode, having just bottled my first brew (a big chewy porter), and transferred my "wheat" to the secondary this weekend.

I used LME on the porter, and found that if I put it into some water, still sealed up, at about 150 degrees or so as I was steeping specialty grains, that it came out pretty well when time to boil.

The second batch was DME, a light Breiss (sp?), and I got the "bag beard" too, but just dipped it into the boil and let it melt off after the bag was empty.

Having fun brewing, found this set of boards in some Google searches, trying to find more Grolsch style bottles. You guys seem to have a good handle on the craft, and I'm always looking for new stuff!

Steven

Back