DME Does it go bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as you keep it sealed (I use a heavy duty ziploc freezer bag) and avoid temp extremes and light (dunno if this is an issue, but thought I'd mention it), it should be fine. It's like the SPAM of the brewing world. It's meant to last.

There isn't much info out there on DME's shelf life for some reason. Everyone agrees that it should be stored air-tight and stays fresh longer than LME. The few sites I have found for shelf life say it will stay good for a year or more. My guess is, between 1 and 2 years if you want it "fresh".

There isn't much info out there on DME's shelf life for some reason. Everyone agrees that it should be stored air-tight and stays fresh longer than LME. The few sites I have found for shelf life say it will stay good for a year or more. My guess is, between 1 and 2 years if you want it "fresh".

Plus, I doubt (and feel free to correct me Revvy or anyone else) that the fermentables somehow disappear over time. Maybe it won't be quite as malty, but in a yeast starter we want it to provide food for the yeast and get them ready to eat malt. If stored correctly, I see no reason why you couldn't use it years from now.

using it for starter then decanting the wort seems like it would be better than in your finished beer, oxidization eventually gets to everything.

Of course I could be full of crap, anything fermentable tends to have a short shelf life in this house:drunk:

I suppose you could re constitute it and taste the wort, comparing it to some fresh dme. That would cover the flavor issue.

Does anyone know if the yeast nutrition can drop out over time?

I bought a 25kg box of DME in 2005 (best used date 2007) I still use that for starters. I have a batch on the stir plate (wlp002) at the moment and it is finished in less then 24 hours. Still seems to work very well after 5 years. I guess I should score some fresh DME and do the taste comparison.

I recently used some 10 year old DME. Laagerlander; don't often find something it is suitable for. It seemed fine.

DME is basically malt sugar. It should keep indefinatly if stored correctly.

hell yes it can go bad...

after 100 years maybe. DME has an almost indefinate shelf life. I bought a 50# bag that i use just for starters and to bump my gravities up while i learn to maximize my efficiency. lasted me well over a year.

There was a podcast a while back with a guy who runs or owns Briess. I thought it was a great program. Lots of insite into th process.

I use it for my starter yeast will go bad over time it is one year old now!

Back