Quantcast

DME contribution

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a 3lb bag of Golden Light DME. I plan to use this in a stout should I fall short of my intended pre boil gravity. I'm trying to figure out how many points this would add.

1603403653150.png

Am I understanding this correct?

the 43 pts per gallon is 1lb of this in 1 gallon of water, right?
So then 3lbs would get 129 pts per gallon, right?
Now if I add 3lbs to 12.5 gallons, that would get me just over 10 gravity points, correct?

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score

This link gives a good description of how to calculate how much DME you would need to add if your pre-boil gravity is low.

OP
Rob2010SS

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Why would you fall short on gravity?
Just sparge less, or use all your first runnings, and only sparge enough until you get your preboil SG. You may fall short on volume, though. :p
I'm not 100% sure why I would. However, I'm just planning for it to be ready should I need to adjust. I think I've taken the necessary steps in planning - like planning on much lower efficiency, planning to collect more pre boil volume and boil longer (with a limit of like a 2 hour boil, don't have time to boil all day), etc.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure why I would. However, I'm just planning for it to be ready should I need to adjust. I think I've taken the necessary steps in planning - like planning on much lower efficiency, planning to collect more pre boil volume and boil longer (with a limit of like a 2 hour boil, don't have time to boil all day), etc.
Yes, of course, lower efficiency can be an issue.
Still, monitor the gravity of your runnings, so you don't undershoot your pre-boil SG. As long as you know your boil off per hour, you know what your pre-boil gravity target should be, and stop adding more relatively thin wort from the sparge.

For big beers gravity is my target, volume is a side effect.
Now I have boiled 1.040 (2nd) runnings down to 1.090-1.100 on the side, by themselves, and added that to the kettle or fermenter. Far less caramelization or scorching risk.