DME and sugar to prime?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BigTexBrewer

Reaction score
Ok so I made a noob mistake. I bought my kit from a local shop and it came with instructions on how to do everything. The kit had instructions to add sugar and not DME to the wort, but I switched out the sugar for DME. I followed the instructions to a T, even leaving 3/4 cups sugar (DME) for priming. Well come to find out I should have added all the DME and just used the sugar to prime. So my wort has 3/4 cups too little of DME and I don't have enough DME to prime with. My question is can I do a blend of DME and sugar to prime? I am making an English Bitter, if that makes a difference.

BigB

Reaction score
Absolutely! Just remember that the DME isn't is as fermentable as sugar. But if you are blending, I wouldn't worry about it unless you are using mostly DME- then just bump up the amount a little bit... no more than 1 oz extra.

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What is the volume of beer you are producing?

3/4 cup of DME is fairly insignificant in a 5 gallon batch of English Bitter so I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a 1 or 2 gallon batch it's a bit more, but still not too big of a deal.

Also, you can prime with the DME (and no sugar) although there is less fermentable sugar, so you'll have to use a bit more DME.

Assuming you are bottling this beer, try using this calculator:

TastyBrew Bottle Priming calculator it lists amounts for corn sugar, table sugar, and DME. Since you probably don't know which type of DME you are using, pick the middle one. :)

There is also one on that site for priming kegs, in case you need it.

OP
B

BigTexBrewer

Reaction score
I am making 5 gals. The reason why I am asking if I can blend is because I don't want to have to buy more DME, I have 3/4 cups of DME on hand. I will be bottling, I don't have the equipment or fridge space for a keg.... yet.

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah you can blend. Actually, 3/4 cup is probably pretty close to the right amount to prime an English bitter to the right level of carbonation.

weirdboy

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
OK I take that back, I measured out 1.9oz of DME (which is what I got using the calculator for 1.3 volumes of CO2 @65F) and it was more like 1/2 cup.