DIY Wooden Drip Tray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WharfRat

Reaction score
Thought I'd share, as I feel like this project turned out nice and was super-easy. I wanted something to match my collar, which would be cheap and not require mods of any sort to my box. I used a pine 1x6, pine quarter-round, and a pine 1x2 from the Depot. Additionally I used a couple of cheap rubber bar liners, glue, stain and poly I had left over from my keezer collar. Only tools I used were a chop saw, sandpaper and a scraper. I mounted it with angle brackets and a few strong disk magnets I had around the house, and it's holding tight even with a few drinks sitting on it!

20130928_151623_resized.jpg

20130928_174543.jpg

20131002_130024-1_resized.jpg

20131002_130643_resized.jpg

So this is just lined with the bar liners? It looks like it has some insert in underneath it. Does that make it more or less waterproof?

I think this is a really great idea.

Thanks all! It was surprisingly easy to do vs how well I felt it came out.

RE Bar Liner: I probably should have said "bar mat," which I bought locally but can be had cheaply lots of places online as in the below:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V2U8V6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

So, yes, it is an insert (actually two, in my case) that has a lip around it, and thus waterproof. Periodically, I can simply remove them and rinse them off.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is beautiful. How do you have it mounted? I figure it must be pretty heavy duty as it is so wide.

That is beautiful. How do you have it mounted? I figure it must be pretty heavy duty as it is so wide.

I took spare wood from the project and glued up three angle brackets - essentially triangles from the 1x6 affixed to flat lengths of the 1x2 (onto which the magnets are epoxied and which stick to the keezer). The magnets are small but very strong, and so far work like a charm to hold the whole works up - while also allowing it to easily be removed if needed.

WharfRat said:
I took spare wood from the project and glued up three angle brackets - essentially triangles from the 1x6 affixed to flat lengths of the 1x2 (onto which the magnets are epoxied and which stick to the keezer). The magnets are small but very strong, and so far work like a charm to hold the whole works up - while also allowing it to easily be removed if needed.

Thanks! I've been struggling with my mount. I appreciate your insight. Did you put anything on the magnet to aid friction to keep it from sliding?

I used several neodymium magnets for each bracket. Gummed up the works pretty well with epoxy, which may help the slipping. Will take a pic when back home

Back