DIY Thermobarrel-like mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it would work well.
Doubt many have used them due to the price point & still needing to get a false bottom for it.

I think I can get a false bottom, valve, thermometer along with the barrel for $100 less than the price of a Thermobarrel.

I think I can get a false bottom, valve, thermometer along with the barrel for $100 less than the price of a Thermobarrel.
It looks to me that both the thermobarrel and this are from the same manufacturer.. I dont doubt you could make it work for less $$

You can always use a bazooka tube like the base option from chapman too... I didnt really notice a difference in performance when switching from the Bazooka tube to a FB on my cooler setup honestly. and as far as a thermometer? a long probe thermometer pushed into a small hole in the lid down into the mash would be the easiest to keep clean and maintain.

Last edited:
The 10 gallon thermobarrel has an updated design (new lid and latches) that seems to me to be a step up from the old design (that looks like the Vollum). Also The vollum does not have a recirculation port, which is a great feature. I have a thermobarrel, and love it. The 10 gallon thermobarrel can be found for a little over $200 if you search around.

If your recirculating then that normally means you have a herms or rims to control mash temps which really takes away from the practical need of a bulky insulated mash tun. Unless your using all this equipment in frigid conditions

It may not be nessisary, but the flexibility that the insulation and the port offer are quite nice. I have used this on my last five brews. Most have been a traditional mash ( last mash only lost about 1.5 degrees during 90 min). I have used it in two vessel breweasy type setup, and my last brewday i did an overnight mash with very good results. Not to drift too far from the original post, I guess my point is that it seems like it would be cheaper and more flexible to buy a thermobarrel, than to try and retrofit vollum.

If your recirculating then that normally means you have a herms or rims to control mash temps which really takes away from the practical need of a bulky insulated mash tun. Unless your using all this equipment in frigid conditions

I started out with a blue cooler and a kettle outside on propane. Added a mash bag. I moved inside with the same kettle and cooler on induction and overhead vent. I added a pump to eliminate lifting. Added a RIMS for steps. Added a whirlpool. ...but underneath it all is still the kettle and cooler. I am now looking to replace the cooler. The cost of a plane jane kettle MLT makes this Vollum insulted vessel attractive.

Cost (NB prices):

Vessel $100.90
False bottom $42.99
Mash bag $30.00 (optional — my current bag may work)
Valve $17.99 (on hand)
Hose barb $8.99 (on hand)
High temp hose $6.99 (on hand)
Clamps (on hand)
Return port: drill hole in lid & use on hand tube like I do now.
Thermometer (not required — I use RIMS PID for temp indication)

So all in I am looking at $143.89 for vessel and false bottom. Add $30 for the optional bag = $173.89.

A new Thermobarrel on Amazon is $269.50. It includes a return port, false bottom, and thermometer. Add $30 for the optional bag = $299.50.

If I understand you your saying the the cost of the insulated tun is the same as what a stainless kettle converted to a MT would be... if thats the case you still have to consider that for the added feature of being insulated (which is completley not needed with a rims) your adding bulk and weight to your mash tun.. will that make things easier for you or harder? if you use a bag you dont even need a false bottom. a bazooka tube will work just as well.

If you use a bag you dont even need a false bottom. a bazooka tube will work just as well.

I’ve found in my current cooler setup a false bottom gives me a better drain. The bag sitting in the wort doesn’t seem to drain as well. Basically, I am using the space under the false bottom as a grant.

Back