DIY Stainless Steel Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could I get away with JB Welding the latches on? I don't want to mess with drilling the latches on, since that'd involve having wort in contact with a bunch of o-rings if the fermenter is nearly full, or paying someone to weld them on.

Know any metal workers, specifically some aircraft sheetmetal types?

They could be riveted on, with some stainless solid rivets.
They swell and seal, no O-rings or the like per your concerns.

1/8 dia. rivets would hold the latches from now on.

A few years ago I bought some black silicone orings that fit this pot. They help seal the pot but are kinda a pain. They often fall in when you are trying to get the lid on.
I find freezing the orings causes them to shrink and stiffen up a bit. Seems to make them easier to install.

If you decide to buy orings, get flat ones instead of the round ones. they will fit into the lid better.

Optimally, I would like to find some glass dome lids that fit. I think this would help with viewing for top cropping instead of having to take the top off. Also the dome lids would provide a little more fermentation space.

So far I havent had any luck. All of the lids i have tried have been slightly too small.

I dont care about being airtight as long as it is fruit fly proof. Currently im just putting the whole fermenter in clear plastic leaf bags but they arent fun to clean.

If anyone is interested, i can take some pics of that the black o rings look like when applied to the kettle.

Last edited:
I had a lot of trouble sealing mine over quite a few batches. I finally got mine to seal by not cutting the tubing and just making a ring that goes in between the lid and kettle. This creates a lot of room for compression along the kettle. I even pumped it full of co2 at low pressure till the o-ring bluged out and gas starting flowing past. I am over a week into a brown ale and still have airlock activity. If you're having trouble with a seal I would highly recommend it

That's a great idea! How'd you make the ring?

Just kegged the "hazy" pale ale that of course dropped clear over cold-crashing. I figure I'd cold-crash and leave behind all the crap that would drop out in the keg and clog my diptube anyway. Because the airlock didn't bubble and I had cold-crashed for almost 48 hours, I figured there wouldn't be much CO2 in there. However, when I unclipped the binder clips and removed the lid to look in, it about put me on my butt. Moral of the story: even if there's no airlock bubbling, that doesn't mean that CO2 is escaping. So apparently just the cut silicone tubing does a pretty good job after all.

I ended up ordering some cabinet toggle latches that look just like the ones I linked to above, to try and replicate how the SS BrewTech Bucket is sealed. They aren't SS, but since they won't contact the wort or beer, I don't really care. So I think I'll get those on there, plus try what thepicklebrewer suggested above, about the ring.

That's a great idea! How'd you make the ring?

Just kegged the "hazy" pale ale that of course dropped clear over cold-crashing. I figure I'd cold-crash and leave behind all the crap that would drop out in the keg and clog my diptube anyway. Because the airlock didn't bubble and I had cold-crashed for almost 48 hours, I figured there wouldn't be much CO2 in there. However, when I unclipped the binder clips and removed the lid to look in, it about put me on my butt. Moral of the story: even if there's no airlock bubbling, that doesn't mean that CO2 is escaping. So apparently just the cut silicone tubing does a pretty good job after all.

I ended up ordering some cabinet toggle latches that look just like the ones I linked to above, to try and replicate how the SS BrewTech Bucket is sealed. They aren't SS, but since they won't contact the wort or beer, I don't really care. So I think I'll get those on there, plus try what thepicklebrewer suggested above, about the ring.
I made it basically the same way the slit silicon gasket is made. I used a food safe silicon sealant to connect it and a bunch of tape to hold it together. Are you planning on welding or using some kind of adhesive or magnet to hold on the clips? I'd love to get rid of the binder clips and add clamps.

When your current batch is done, could you take a picture of your setup? I think I know what you mean, but pics would help. What material did you make the o-ring out of? Just standard silicone tubing?

I'm gonna try to JB Weld the clamps on first, see if I can get away with that. If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can find someone here who will spot-weld them.

When your current batch is done, could you take a picture of your setup? I think I know what you mean, but pics would help. What material did you make the o-ring out of? Just standard silicone tubing?

I'm gonna try to JB Weld the clamps on first, see if I can get away with that. If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can find someone here who will spot-weld them.
The hole in the top is obviously fitted with a blow off and bung. The ring that is in the second picture is just 3/8" silicone tubing that is attached using aquarium silicone. I just used a bunch of binder clips to hold down the lid. This worked well. I think it still leaked a bit toward the end of fermentation either bc the ring got to compressed or the bung had a small leak by. Either way after 3 weeks I didn't notice any activity in the airlock as far as pushing water in the blow off.

This worked better for me than just cutting the slit on the tubing and putting it around the edge where I couldn't get a seal at all.
Screenshot_20181219-095506.jpeg
Screenshot_20181219-095503.jpeg

I know this is an old post but people seem to be commenting on it still. The original idea is great, the clamping of the lid needs refining a bit. I'm not sure how much these are, or how to order them but we use similar clamps for sealing oil drum lids where I work. They would probably be perfect if they can be made to the right diameter.

http://www.teconnex.com/hygienic/

Very nice, Brewzologist. I hadn't even thought of Bayou Classic. Don't know if they go this high but I want a simple 16-20 gallon bucket, for open fermentation so no lid needed. Will siphon as well. So far all I've come across in that volume are kettles, with the tri-ply bottom so obviously that's a needless expense. Ideally want it to fit in a standard fridge, too. Lot to ask.

But yours is really nice. Thanks for the thread.

I'm considering making a stainless pot fermenter with a 20qt Bayou Classic Stainless Pot. The diameter of the pot is listed at 11". I realize I won't know the exact measurement until it arrives, but I'm considering buying something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094FPJZS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094FPMTQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

They're basically the gasket used in a Pressure Cooker. Instead of using silicone tubing like the OP, I'd use this. If the gasket was sized slightly smaller than the diameter of the rim, it could be stretched over the edge for a nice clean install. Thoughts?

Yeah...replying to a post from 2015...but I just ordered two packs of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCBWJHG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

More as something to entertain me, I have been playing around with building some fermenters from cheap SS pots from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-12-Quart-Stockpot-with-Lid-Stainless-Steel/37320202). So far I have 2 of the 2 gal pots, and 1 of the 3 gal pots.

As far as the seals, I ordered a set of 22 cm and a set of 24 cm, but it seems that I should have gotten 20 cm and 22 cm. The 22 cm is too big for the 2 gal pot, but it stretches enough to fit the 3 gal pot. I have not done any leak tests, but I have to think that it will be good enough. I will probably try fermenting a batch in the fermenter with seal + airlock + spigot, and another batch in just a pot with the clamps on the lid. (I did ferment a test batch in the 3 gal pot with just the lid...seemed to work but I did not like having no way to tell what is going on with fermentation other than opening the lid.)

Below is one picture of the seal installed on the rim of the pot, the other is my growing collection of small batch fermenters. Note: I have not actually drilled any holes yet...hope to get to that in the next week. (Edit: the thumbnails were not working for me...so adding inline pics)

20190122_141540.jpg

20190122_141500.jpg

For anybody interested in the seals, the inner edge to edge measurement is about 0.5 bigger than stated (22.5 and 24.5 vs 22 and 24). The picture below is the 24 cm seal, which would fit without any stretching on a ~26 cm rim. The 22 cm would fit on a 24 cm rim. The actual rim of my 3 gal pot is ~25.5 cm.

20190122_150030.jpg

Last edited:
Drilled 1 of the 2 gallon stainless pots and the acrylic canister for airlocks and spigots. I am not sure I will have a chance this weekend to brew anything to give them a try...might have to wait until next weekend. I kind of wanted nicer spigots, but could not justify the $15 to $25 for stainless ones vs $4 for some plastic ones. Some nicer looking latches might be nice.

Edit: I also ordered a pack of the 20 cm pressure cooker seals and they fit the rim of the 2 gal ss pot perfectly.

20190125_215305.jpg

Last edited:
I just wanted to add to the growing list of people building these All-in-one brew pot and fermenters. I built one using a 24qt(6gal) GasOne SS pot from amazon. I was very impressed with the quality of this pot and recommend it over the Bayou. I created the seal following @thepicklebrewer design using silicone tube ring. While it works, I am never 100% sure my seal is good at the time I batten down the hatch. I plan to attempt to make a seal using diluted silicone caulk. Big thanks to all on this thread for inspiring me to do this.

What do you dilute silicone caulk with? I have wanted to try molding of some parts and inject with caulk but it's always too thick.
I have not actually done this yet, but from what I gather on youtube is you mix with Naptha and it becomes pourable.

FYI, I have tasted the first batch and find it comparable to the taste when I did boil in pot/ferment in glass. I call my new process, NoCBiabFik (No-Chill, BIAB, Ferment in Kettle)

I just wanted to add to the growing list of people building these All-in-one brew pot and fermenters. I built one using a 24qt(6gal) GasOne SS pot from amazon. I was very impressed with the quality of this pot and recommend it over the Bayou. I created the seal following @thepicklebrewer design using silicone tube ring. While it works, I am never 100% sure my seal is good at the time I batten down the hatch. I plan to attempt to make a seal using diluted silicone caulk. Big thanks to all on this thread for inspiring me to do this.

Looks like you're referring to this one: https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Stainless-6-Gallon-Thickness-Homebrewing/dp/B072YYNBYB?th=1

Is the grate lookin' thing at the bottom removable?

What do you dilute silicone caulk with? I have wanted to try molding of some parts and inject with caulk but it's always too thick.
On the topic of gaskets, I just watched a video from barley and hops brewing on how to make a still, where they poured a custom silicone gasket using a Clay mold. Pretty interesting stuff..

I've got the Bayou Classic 44QT with a lid diameter just shy of 13.5". Has anyone found a gasket that fits? I've looked at SS Brew Tech and few others, but haven't found anything within stretching size.

I've got the Bayou Classic 44QT with a lid diameter just shy of 13.5". Has anyone found a gasket that fits? I've looked at SS Brew Tech and few others, but haven't found anything within stretching size.
well I use the replacement gaskets sold for stouts 12.5 gallon fermenters (12") and they stretch fine around the edge of my 15" false bottom...

I still have not gotten around to successfully creating a gasket using pourable silicone. All my attempts so far using silicone caulk have ended in disaster. Im not done trying though. In the mean time, I have still been using the gastket I made using silicone tubing where two ends are joined using silicone caulk described above.

I have an AiH 10 gallon 2 port kettle that I'm hoping to try out soon as a fermenter. It didn't seal for crap when I tried it initially, due to not doing a good job with the cutting and gluing silicone tubing for a gasket.

In the interim, I found a gasket that actually fits nicely from AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32670271027.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27b44c4dYsFyrc. The DN300 stretched nicely over the 13 5/8" diameter.

I have still been using four of the regular stout 12" gaskets I mentioned above for the 13" diameter lids on my larger plastic conicals with no issues..

Back