DIY Rice Polishing Mill for Sake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbuzzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking into brewing sake and would like to build my own polishing machine. Does anyone have any information or knowledge as to the mechanics required?

Thank you in advance

I have the TwinBird rice polisher but have been very disappointed in the results. I does more of a mill than a polish and breaks a lot fo the grains.

There's an intensive "at home" method of mixing rice with water and a washable abrasive substance like talcum or glucose powder and then agitating. Sounds like a lot of work, so I am actually going to be experimenting in the coming month with a rock tumbler to see if that will do the trick and how long it will take if it does work. Ideally, it works and takes around an hour to do so, that way my polish and pre-steam soak are both done in one go.

I have the TwinBird rice polisher but have been very disappointed in the results. I does more of a mill than a polish and breaks a lot fo the grains.

There's an intensive "at home" method of mixing rice with water and a washable abrasive substance like talcum or glucose powder and then agitating. Sounds like a lot of work, so I am actually going to be experimenting in the coming month with a rock tumbler to see if that will do the trick and how long it will take if it does work. Ideally, it works and takes around an hour to do so, that way my polish and pre-steam soak are both done in one go.
Thanks for the reply, I need to get back in to this. I guess a rock tumbler with a talcum solution will work fine. Sounds good

Did it work, any progress?

Back