DIY Mash Tun Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut908

Reaction score
I am new to home brewing and am in the process of collecting all of the equipment needed to make beer. I am looking in to making one of those DIY mash tuns (http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to/g1580/how-to-build-your-own-home-brewing-mash-tun/), however some of the parts needed don't seem to be safe to use for food/drink. I went to my local Home Depot to pick up the ball valve but the inside of it is filled with some sort of lubrication that can't be healthy for you. It was a smaller home depot so maybe they don't sell food grade valves there.

Does anyone know where I can get a ball valve with no lubrication oil inside that is food grade? I would like to know if I can find it in stores with in the Edmonton (Alberta, Canada) area so that I don't have to pay for shipping. If I do end up having to ship it would have to be within Canada and close to me to minimize shipping charges.

Also, what else should I look for in a part when trying to keep things food grade?

A thorough cleaning should remove any residual oils.
Maybe, but I think it would take too long since it re-lubricates its self every time the valve is closed and opened again.

If you are really worried about it I would suggest you go online and look to places like brewhardware (Bobby carries everything you need).

Cheers,
-Stephen

I would suggest online as well if you dont have a LHBS that carries them. I use all 3 piece ball valves too. You have no idea how gunked up those things get. I also have the rectangular Xtreme Cooler setup and love it (although I do have a ball valve, and dont fly sparge :))

Almost every valve sold anywhere is safe for potable water. There are probably several in your house that your wort water comes from. A quick wash/rinse in dish soap will get rid of any excess gunk and you'll be fine.

Recently in the US all brass fittings had to have their lead content reduced to <0.25% by weight, and all packaging has been changed to reflect this. If you see any brass fittings saying "lead free" you are perfectly safe using them. There really isn't much worry about using old brass fittings before the lead reduction, but seeing "lead free" is a solid indicator that it is good for any potable water.

I might also suggest you explore BIAB (Brew In A Bag). No need fir any valves at all. MUCH easier on clean up and never any drains getting stuck. Money saving too. Just another option to look into. I did the same thing you are looking at for a few years. After making the switch I will not look back. But as you will find in this awesome hobby we all have our individual preferences. It's just nice to know some different options when you can. Much luck to you.

I might also suggest you explore BIAB (Brew In A Bag). No need fir any valves at all.

If you're open to alternatives, fabric filters are super simple and work amazingly well

I've been busy looking at all of the complex processes online and overlooked these options. I think this will be a good place for me to start out with my first brew. Thanks too everyone for the helpful tips!

I've been busy looking at all of the complex processes online and overlooked these options. I think this will be a good place for me to start out with my first brew. Thanks too everyone for the helpful tips!

I think BIAB probably makes the most sense. I built a four vessel system (HERMS with standalone heat exchanger) back before there was such a thing as BIAB. If I was starting over now, I'd probably go the BIAB route.

I might also suggest you explore BIAB (Brew In A Bag). No need fir any valves at all. MUCH easier on clean up and never any drains getting stuck. Money saving too. Just another option to look into. I did the same thing you are looking at for a few years. After making the switch I will not look back. But as you will find in this awesome hobby we all have our individual preferences. It's just nice to know some different options when you can. Much luck to you.

Agree on BIAB saving on the cleanup time, etc. - but I do want to replace the push-button valve on my 10-gallon cooler (mash tun) with a ball valve, just for convenience.

Latest posts

Back