DIY Labeling Machine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chixxi

Reaction score
Hello Everybody.

I have been working on a labeling machine for quiet a while. I have gone through multiple prototypes and I have documented all of them in the german forum. Since it is no "basically finished" and working I thought it might help to post some informations in english.

Video (I will make a better one soon!):
The previous prototype: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FWGEx1gGsw[/ame]
The latest prototype: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/kMjugRERJ6QccMrB-YJBSkYZnpXDs2xvXHXmlnjQzoE?feat=directlink

Edit, better video:
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwk6yL3mSro&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

IMG_20160124_172105.jpg

IMG_20160124_172112.jpg

IMG_20160124_172118.jpg

IMG_20160124_172129.jpg

IMG_20160124_172142.jpg

IMG_20160124_173617.jpg

IMG_20160124_173650.jpg

The machine works with paper on which the glue has already been applied, so you only have to get them wet with a little water to make the sticky. I think the right translation is "dull gum", in german it is "trockengummiert". You can buy this kind of paper in all kind of variations. I print them at home with a laser printer and cut them myself. This allows me to use the machine even if I only bottle very few bottles with lots of different labels.

The colored roller is running in water and wets the labels. The roller above it pushed down and "removes" the water which is to much.

The transparent parts are made out of polycarbonate, I love this material. All rolles run on ball bearings.

The papaper-pickup roller only runs for an adjustable time (time relais from ebay), this time has to be adjusted to the length of the label.

The roller all the way in the front can be placed in different positions, it is not motor-driven. This allow to adjust the machine in order to label bottles up to 15cm in diameter. However, the minimum width of a labe for a 6cm bottle ist about 3-4cm, for a 15cm bottle it is about 10cm. I need to do further tests.

I hope so of you might find this interesting enought to re-build it :mug:

I hope so of you might find this interesting enought to re-build it :mug:

This is amazing, you must have access to a decent shop....would love to build this, but time and tools etc etc don't think I could do it for any reasonable budget.

Very impressive! You rock.

Do you build your own cars as well? lol. Do you have access to fabrication equipment at work, or is this "home built"?

Thank you for the positive feedback! No I don't build my cars myself, the germans do that better :D

No, I don't have access to a decent shop, I don't even have a workbench. I do this with common home tools in the apartment I live in on the floor. The only tool I bought for the project is a set of thread cutters.

The hardest parts to produce were the aluminum adapters for the rollers, the parts which allow to mount the big rollers on small axles (5mm diameter).

A really hard part was to figure out the label feeder so that it reliably sucks in a single label per cycle. This took me about 3 hours of staring into a printer, then I realized they all got a 110 degree angle in the paper tray (on the side on which the paper is sucked in). After I realized this angle on my machine everything worked. The label-pickup-roller is mounted fix, it cant move. The plate on which the labels are positioned is rotatable by a few deegres. Since it has the balance point after the pivot point it always slighlty pushes the labels against the pickup-roller.

Basically you can get everything of ebay, I guess you could to it below 100 dollars if you don't calculate the work itself. Bit who does calculate time for a hobby :)

One party of home brewing for me is DIY projects, I love to build things myself.

I think I have found someone in the german forum who will make drawings. There are non existent, I built this out of my head after a few prototypes.

Another picture with a 64oz Miir Growler (really works with big bottles too since the front roll may be adjustet):
IMG_20160124_191850.jpg

It is in german, but if you want to see some pictures of my home brewery (and other DIY Projects) in Switzerland:
www.chicco.beer

Edit: Removed 5000 spelling errors.

I don't label my bottles but this is extremely cool. I am handy and love diy but I don't have the mind for this type of design and development. Great job.

Thank you!

At the moment there are no plans to sell the machine, but I am in contact with some home-brew-suppliers. However, you wan be able to buy this anytime soon.

Somebody is drawing this in 3D (CAD), then it should get simple to reproduce it.

If you can impress ClaudiusB, that says a lot!

For me the impressive thing is this is being built on some guys kitchen table and not in a fancy smancy shop.
Yes, I just had a look ad all of ClaudiusB'2 videos and believe me, I am impressed as well! :mug:

gotta say this is RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME! I love DIY stuff... but this is over the top man! REALLY nice work!! I would love to see a parts list and get the plans when available.

Would also put down on a kickstarter, or something of the nature too. CHeers :mug:

I just wanted to check in to see if there are any updates on this? I would love a parts list \ diagram to try to put one together myself. If this is being put together to sell, I would be interested in that as well!!!

A friend of mine is working on a verison which will be controlled by an arduino, it will have additional features. Since he is planning everything in CAD I stopped drawing my version. I will post as soon as there are news.

A friend of mine is working on a verison which will be controlled by an arduino, it will have additional features. Since he is planning everything in CAD I stopped drawing my version. I will post as soon as there are news.

That is awesome! Are you going to try to sell it? I do not know what all it would take, but with kickstarter and other sites like that it might help out!

Whether you offer the diagrams to people, or offer a product, people will want it, and I am definitely in that group!

Hello Everybody.

The machine works with paper on which the glue has already been applied, so you only have to get them wet with a little water to make the sticky. I think the right translation is "dull gum", in german it is "trockengummiert". You can buy this kind of paper in all kind of variations. I print them at home with a laser printer and cut them myself. This allows me to use the machine even if I only bottle very few bottles with lots of different labels.

This is awesome :mug:.

I think the english equivalent of the paper is "dry gummed" or just "gummed" paper. It's the same paper that is commonly sold at homebrew stores in the states as label making paper. It's the same glue on stamps and envelopes. I can't seem to find any retail quantity supplier in the states. I'll have to talk with a local print shop to get some in to play.

I do not currently have a video, but I do have pictures of the process.
I am currently building it ...

Works with any type of paper.
This machine puts the glue and applies the label on the bottle.

Spend 3500 usd to develop the machine.

the structure is made of steel cut with laser and has 40% of parts printed in 3d.

kMYYv1U.jpg

BkDugYs.jpg

Hi its amazing how you've made this by yourself. In our Physics class, me and my friends want to try to recreate your invention. Is it possible to have a list of parts and their measurements? Hoping you'd get to see this

Hola Germán, nos gustaría contactarnos con vos. Buscanos en Facebook como Dos Barbas x favor.

This is so so cool and looks well-made! I wish I had the discipline to put something like this together!

Hello, I am from France and I made the same study than GermanMuller.
I started in 2017 with a machine made of wood and desk printing machine parts :
IMG_20190917_212733.jpg

After hours and hours of tests and modification, it works and its glued approx 40,000 of bottles !

After that, I discovered that there was very few machines available on the market and I decided to work on a commercial machine.
After a lot of additional work, I have designed this machine which I sell now mainly in France :
ED01-1.jpg

You can see videos in operation on youtube :

Hi its amazing how you've made this by yourself. In our Physics class, me and my friends want to try to recreate your invention. Is it possible to have a list of parts and their measurements? Hoping you'd get to see this
I’d also love to try this. ( home brewer looking to lab er l cans)

Back