DIY keg fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max384

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm contemplating building my own semi-walk-in keg fridge.

I have an 8 tap system in my bar:
20170205_101556-X2.jpg

My bar build thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/basement-bar-build-thread.596537/

Behind that wall is an unfinished portion of the basement that my keezer was located to house my kegs:
20170107_162644-X2.jpg

20170126_235855-X2.jpg

Build thread here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/bar-build-part-2-8-tap-through-the-wall-keezer.598652/

The keezer was made with a 25 cu ft chest freezer with 2x10" collar.

The chest freezer was a Craigslist find, and the compressor died on it. I'm going to either buy another chest freezer (new this time) or build my own semi-walk-in refrigerator (which I'm leaning more strongly towards). If I build my own, I'd like to make it tall enough that I won't have to run insulated lines to the insulated box behind my taps. Instead, the back of the taps would actually be inside the refrigerator.

This would be advantageous in a few ways. First, I wouldn't have to worry about the temperature variation between the lines at the tap, since it would all be in the fridge. Secondly, replacing kegs, etc. would be a lot easier. Third, I would build extra shelves to store more cans/bottles of beer.

However, I'm not really sure how to size a compressor, the proper type to get, and how to charge it (I'm assuming I'd have to pay someone to do that part). Building the actual insulated fridge would be pretty straightforward, I would imagine.

Does anyone know of any build threads here they could link to? And does anyone have any information on where to buy and how to size these? Thanks.

I stumbled upon this http://www.mrmalty.com/brewstuff.php

I figured an AC unit would freeze up making fridge temps, but it lasted him 5 years through hot summers in an outdoor shed. Mine is in a basement that stays 65 F year round. Maybe this would be an option. For anyone that has used an AC unit for a fermentation chamber or anything, do you end up with a lot of water condensation dripping off? Or has that not been an issue?

By the way, I'm envisioning about 8 x 4 x 6 ft (L x W x H) interior size, so just under 200 cu ft.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this http://www.mrmalty.com/brewstuff.php

I figured an AC unit would freeze up making fridge temps, but it lasted him 5 years through hot summers in an outdoor shed. Mine is in a basement that stays 65 F year round. Maybe this would be an option. For anyone that has used an AC unit for a fermentation chamber or anything, do you end up with a lot of water condensation dripping off? Or has that not been an issue?

By the way, I'm envisioning about 8 x 4 x 6 ft (L x W x H) interior size, so just under 200 cu ft.

You can catch the condensate and run it to a drain OR use a condensate pump. They are pretty cheap.

The next question is - can your space, in the heat of summer, accommodate the heat load of running the air conditioner....normally a window AC would eject this heat outdoors, but you'll be ejecting it indoors - likely with little airflow around the condenser coils. You may need to actively exhaust this heat to ensure air around the coils stays cooler and to remove the heat from your space.

There are other builds on here doing what you propose. One of them looked like it was big....like 5'x5'x7'h. One thing is you don't just need to insulate it but you need to make it as airtight as possible....anywhere you leave room for it to 'breathe' (tiny gaps and cracks) is going to have condensation.....which leads to a mess and likely mold growth. This includes the door you use.

One cool thing one guy did was have his cans/bottles available through a glass door from the bar-side. I think he had a door from a broken/old wine fridge or similar. He put in LED lights and had it backdropped to still look nice from the bar side.

You can catch the condensate and run it to a drain OR use a condensate pump. They are pretty cheap.

The next question is - can your space, in the heat of summer, accommodate the heat load of running the air conditioner....normally a window AC would eject this heat outdoors, but you'll be ejecting it indoors - likely with little airflow around the condenser coils. You may need to actively exhaust this heat to ensure air around the coils stays cooler and to remove the heat from your space.

There are other builds on here doing what you propose. One of them looked like it was big....like 5'x5'x7'h. One thing is you don't just need to insulate it but you need to make it as airtight as possible....anywhere you leave room for it to 'breathe' (tiny gaps and cracks) is going to have condensation.....which leads to a mess and likely mold growth. This includes the door you use.

One cool thing one guy did was have his cans/bottles available through a glass door from the bar-side. I think he had a door from a broken/old wine fridge or similar. He put in LED lights and had it backdropped to still look nice from the bar side.
I've decided to go the walk-in cooler route (got the blessing to go ahead with this from my wife).

I have a drain that is not too far from where the AC unit would be, so catching that and routing it to the drain wouldn't be too hard. I'll go that route if condensation becomes a big issue. It will be located in my basement, which runs cool year round, so the heat exhausted would be no problem... Actually beneficial, as this is a difficult space to keep warm.

Thanks for the tip on keeping it airtight. I'm pretty sure that is what killed my compressor on my chest freezer before. It had a lot of condensation on the inside that I was constantly dealing with. At the time, I didn't realize that was likely from an air leak. I'm pretty sure it was bringing in warm air, causing condensation, and causing the compressor to work overtime.

But this being said, where does the air go? If I use an AC unit, it is blowing cold air into the cooler. The air must go somewhere. I'm guessing the game plan is to make it as airtight as possible, with the reality that it'll never be completely airtight, and that the air will work its way out when the AC unit is blowing, and hopefully not let much in or out when it's not being actively forced out?

I've decided to go the walk-in cooler route (got the blessing to go ahead with this from my wife).

I have a drain that is not too far from where the AC unit would be, so catching that and routing it to the drain wouldn't be too hard. I'll go that route if condensation becomes a big issue. It will be located in my basement, which runs cool year round, so the heat exhausted would be no problem... Actually beneficial, as this is a difficult space to keep warm.

Thanks for the tip on keeping it airtight. I'm pretty sure that is what killed my compressor on my chest freezer before. It had a lot of condensation on the inside that I was constantly dealing with. At the time, I didn't realize that was likely from an air leak. I'm pretty sure it was bringing in warm air, causing condensation, and causing the compressor to work overtime.

But this being said, where does the air go? If I use an AC unit, it is blowing cold air into the cooler. The air must go somewhere. I'm guessing the game plan is to make it as airtight as possible, with the reality that it'll never be completely airtight, and that the air will work its way out when the AC unit is blowing, and hopefully not let much in or out when it's not being actively forced out?

You AC unit should draw air in from the cooler, cool it and blow it back in. Unless the AC has a damper to bring in outside air (which you should have closed) the two sides should be well sealed from each other already.

You AC unit should draw air in from the cooler, cool it and blow it back in. Unless the AC has a damper to bring in outside air (which you should have closed) the two sides should be well sealed from each other already.
Oh yeah! Duh! I think I had a brain fart. Of course that's how it works. The intake filter is on the same side the air is blowing out of. Lol. Thanks!

Following.
I've got a weird HVAC room in the middle of my finished basement (we use the basement as living space). It has extra room for a 4x8x6 or so walk in cooler. Then I could plumb in some lines/taps to the living room on the other side. Need to find a way to exhaust heat from the condenser outside-- the nearest outdoor wall is 15-20 feet away in the laundry room.
Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

A mini-split might make everything quite simple. There are even user-installable units available...

Cheers!
Mini splits certainly do fill a void for non standard installs like this especially if heat off condenser was going to be an issue. The down side however is they are relatively expensive (especially compared to a window unit) if you buy new, and are absolutely a pain to work on if anything goes wrong. The later being a caution to a Craigslist find. Unlike traditional AC's, parts start becoming obsolete and in some cases unobtainable in as little as 5 years (even less for some brands). Obviously, not "all" parts follow this insane pattern, but it seems like all the ones that fail do.....(do I sound bitter? hmmmm)

I've not used one of the coolbot's, but it seems like a sound concept (if somewhat pricey) if a window unit can be used.
https://www.storeitcold.com/
coolbot.jpg

Latest posts

Back