DIY Hops and BIAB Bag's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juskojj

Reaction score
I just went to JoAnn's at lunch and bought 2 yards of 100% polyester viole to make some hops and BIAB bags. Only reason I bought so much is because it was on sale total cost was $8.88 :) I'm sure I'm going to have plenty left over after I get done making what I want so if anyone wants me to make a bag for them I can.

I'm planning on making a bag to use in my 1gallon and 5gallon mash tuns to help clean up and prevent my SS braided hose from getting stuck. I've never had a stuck sparge before but the clean up is a pain so I figured the bags will help greatly!!! Plus I want another hops bag.

So if anyone has a JoAnn's buy them and is interested in making their own bags the stuff's on sale!

Interesting. I just went back to a cooler mash tun with a braided line. The friend that sold it to me also made and gave me a few viole to slip over the braided line for this purpose. Maybe it was my grain crush being too fine (never an issue before on my keggle system set at 0.039" or the fact that my mash had 3 cans of pumpkin in it), but it stuck like no other stuck sparge I have had before. Had to blow air through the valve several times before finally removing the viole and it flowed much better then. It seems awfully dense to me. I plan to give it another try and hope it works. I am wanting a BIAB bag for my new 1-2 gallon experimental projects and one for my 70qt coleman cooler I use for 5-10 gallon batches.

I am leaning this direction for the cooler anyway http://www.brewinabag.com/products/the-brew-bag-for-coolers You think it's the same material? My daughter knows how to run a sewing machine :D

i'd venture to guess it is or something very close but I ran across another BIAB forum and they swear by using voile fabric. I learned how to run a sewing machine long ago for repairs ect... even made my own set of corn hole bags.... so i plan on making bags to my coolers. I've got about the same size as you, big and small batches

I will keep my eyes on this thread and keep us posted how it works. If I can't get my sweat shop labor to attempt this I might hit you up if you are interested.

Hmmm, with my limited use of voile I am still somewhat skeptical. Again could be my grain crush or the pumpkin. I will continue to use what I have and maybe sweat shop up a simple BIAB and report back.

can't say i blame you but i just stumbled across this thread as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/using-grain-bag-mash-tun-307193/

can't wait to make my bag and try it next brew, only thing i have to be careful of and work on a little bit is my SS braid so it doesn't snag the bag. i'm confident i can figure something out.
My plan was to remove the braid all together. Why do you need it at this point if you have a bag for the entire cooler?

Reading instructions and watching YouTube videos on how to run one of these. Haha. I made an apron in Home Ec in HS back in the late 80's ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415759504.103115.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

nice! got to love you tube for that stuff.

i was going to my braid in just as an added filter, i'll probably end up taking it out but i figured brew 2 batches 1 with it in and 1 with out and see if there are any differences......

actually i just thought of something i'm going to try as well to help minimize dead space losses. if i put a dip tube in place of the SS braid and put the bag on top of it i should be able to suck up all the wort......

nice! got to love you tube for that stuff.

i was going to my braid in just as an added filter, i'll probably end up taking it out but i figured brew 2 batches 1 with it in and 1 with out and see if there are any differences......

actually i just thought of something i'm going to try as well to help minimize dead space losses. if i put a dip tube in place of the SS braid and put the bag on top of it i should be able to suck up all the wort......
Good idea on the dip tube. On my coleman extreme it has a trough at the outlet so I don't think a dip tube would do anything. For my small batch BIAB bag I have no valves, so just dump it into the fermentor. I may run it back through my BIAB bag to clean out the trub since I am only doing 1.5-1.75 gallons

i created a small mash tun from a small cooler complete with valve and other mods for my 1gallon batches plus i also have a coleman extreme with valve and other mods for my 5gallon batches. i also have a dip in my coleman which i think your right the dip tube won't do anything since it's funneling right down to the valve.

speaking of dip tubes i need to redo mine on my bottling bucket.....

That was easy! I'll probably make one for a hop spider at some point, but plan to run my wort back through this to get most of the trub since this is for <2gal batches.

BIAB1.jpg

BIAB2.jpg

Back