DIY Hop Blocker / Stopper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambleside

Reaction score
Here's an idea I've got for a Hop Blocker / Stopper for my kettle.

Just need some ideas of what material to use for the screen. Have had trouble finding sheets of steel mesh, and not sure how fine it should be.

Only thing I've found is aluminum window insect shield, but likely too flimsy to hold its curved shape.

The sceen will be about 15" wide across the bottom of the kettle, curved around the spigot/diptube and touching on both sides of kettle.
It will be a little shorter than the height of the kettle.

It will be immersed after the boil and cooling. The pot will be propped un an edge to shift the trub to the opposite side of the screen for 30 mins. Then the screen will be put in.

It will be held in place using a steel threaded rod, that tightens against the screen with a nut, putting pressure on the screen against the kettle wall, and held in place by the other end of the rod against the opposite side.

I want this fine, but to allow a small amount of matter through, which will go through a finer filter (paint cloth, other, TBD) before entering fermentor.

See picture and add comments if you have opinions on what to use as the main filter, how fine, etc. Gravity fed btw.

hop blocker.jpg

Back