DIY glycol heat pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt

Reaction score
I have seen homemade glycol chillers made from window AC units which is cool. I love building stuff like this and it got me thinking... It looks like you can buy little window heat pumps, like a normal window AC but can also heat. This is usually done by switching a reversing valve on the compressor so instead of cold refrigerant passing over the inside coil you get hot refrigerant. Now my experience is from commercial units so I'm not positive that it's how a window unit works or if it's just electric heat. If it did infact switch a reversing valve then I think you would be able to use this to cool or heat your glycol for your fermenter instead of using an electric heat pad. Any thoughts??

I use my sparge water heater (essentially an urn) for warm water to run through my fermenter coils for Kveik fermenting at 90F+. No glycol needed.

Ball valves let me switch from cooling to heating. It's not automated, but I've never needed to do both on one brew until it's time to cold crash.

how about this one?:
https://chillxchillers.com/air-to-w...FnrI1nbPEQ_IcDxt-Ys6L2QkGVw-i1uhoCkGAQAvD_BwE

disclaimer: I have no experience with this unit, but in theory there's no reason why a small heat pump with reversing valve wouldn't work

I think that’s just an air handler and not the actual compressor.

My guess is a real heat pump should work fine, but it’d cost 20x what a heating pad does for no benefit. If the units with the reversing valves come down in price then maybe it’s make sense, but right now they’re much more expensive than the $100 window ac unit I use.

Back