DIY glycol chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jag75

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all I was thinking of making one using a window ac unit. One thing I'm curious about is whether it's a window ac or a portable ac unit it has to vent. Either the back end outside the window or a hose to the window. Is it good to be using as a glycol Chiller with no venting?

I think you are referring to a drain for condensation?
My DIY unit apparently needs no draining, there is no water in the chassis.
I've been running it in my 50*F garage for a couple months now.

I guess it's just heat that's being produced. That's why they are in a window or a hose fixed in a window . Talked to some ac guys I know . I just didnt know if there was any carbon monoxide or anything you shouldn't inhale .

Nope, nothing to worry about. I've had mine on autopilot for about 6 months now down in my 60 degree basement. I mainly use it to cold crash, getting the 10 gallon reservoir down to 28 degrees

Nice . I'm in the process to finding a window ac . Might just get a new one at home depot. 130$. My brother has one but its digital. Hopefully I'll have it built within next couple months and get my cf5

Look for a local scratch and dent or "open box" store... I bought a 5000btu unit that was banged up for $40. I was cutting the chassis off anyway, so I didn't really care that it was dented.

Nice . I'm in the process to finding a window ac . Might just get a new one at home depot. 130$. My brother has one but its digital. Hopefully I'll have it built within next couple months and get my cf5

If you're going to do glycol temp control, and because of that not putting the CF5 in a refrigerator for temp control, why not just go the next size larger? That way you can still do 5-gallon batches but you'll also be able to do 10-gallon batches should the mood strike, or your capacity increase.

I did probably...oh, 20 or so 5-gallon batches in my CF10 before a buddy and I did two consecutive 5-gallon batches in one day to fill the fermenter to 10 gallons. Last monday I did the first legitimate 10-gallon batch and it went in lickety-split just like it was a 5-gallon batch.

Anyway, given the basic cost is only $100 more for the fermenter, and a couple other things cost a bit more for the CF10, you might consider that.

Just a thought.

Dang it mongoose you got me thinking lol. Is the size difference very noticeable? I'm working with a really small room. It appears that my mountain bike might get moved to the carport to accommodate this. I just dont know if I would do much 10 gallon batches . I guess if I ever wanted to it's possible with the 10 .

How does the chilling work in a 10 with only 5 gallons? Does the coils still go far enough into the beer?

Look for a local scratch and dent or "open box" store... I bought a 5000btu unit that was banged up for $40. I was cutting the chassis off anyway, so I didn't really care that it was dented.

This would be a great find if I came across something like that.

Dang it mongoose you got me thinking lol. Is the size difference very noticeable? I'm working with a really small room. It appears that my mountain bike might get moved to the carport to accommodate this. I just dont know if I would do much 10 gallon batches . I guess if I ever wanted to it's possible with the 10 .

How does the chilling work in a 10 with only 5 gallons? Does the coils still go far enough into the beer?

The CF5 is 14" wide by 29" tall. The CF10 is 17" wide by 35" tall. Three inches.

Of course, if you're never likely to do 10-gallon batches, it's wasted money. I figured I wouldn't do all that many 10-gallon batches, but wanted the option.

The chiller works fine with 5-gallon batches. The chilling coil extends about 2/3 of the way into the beer when doing 5-gallon batches.

The other price differences are that the heating/cooling option is $15 more for the CF10 than the CF5. If you put leg extensions on it, the bracing shelf is $5 more with the CF10. So....$115 more for the CF10?

I've been toying a bit with expanding my brewery, trying to get a license and doing it for real. I figured I'd have to buy a lot more equipment, but they have a deal where there's some sort of interest-free financing of these things. If I go that way, I'll take advantage of it.

The reason I bring that up is one can look at the base price of the unit, and it looks very accessible, but there are other things you're probably going to wish you had.

One is the pressure manifold. One good thing about the CF10 is the ability to ferment under pressure; at the end of fermentation, with the unit sealed up with about 5-7 points of gravity to go, it'll self-carbonate about halfway similarly to how bottles carbonate and condition. I do that, and it's good to monitor pressure with the gauge, plus there's the PRV, plus a gas post so you can both pull gas off (if planning to seal it) as well as carbonate it as well as do a pressure transfer. That's $75. I use the gas post as a blowoff port to either run it into a jar so I can monitor fermentation, or to purge a keg w/ all that CO2 that comes off, or to add pressure.

I also bought a carbonation stone but truth be told, I've never used it. It can be used to oxygenate the wort or to carbonate. I use a very long oxygen wand instead, and either self-carbonate or finish in the keg with force carbonation.

I also bought the 2" sight glass for the bottom, which I'm glad I have. I also did the leg extensions and bracing shelf so it's tall enough to gravity feed into kegs--though if you have CO2 you can pressure transfer it. That's $50.

You'll also probably wish you had a couple extra TC clamps and some spare silicone gaskets for the TC connections.

I also bought the CIP cleaning ball but truth be told, you can live without it. That's what's great about the Spike--you can take off the top and easy to clean.

Anyway, enough trying to get you to spend more money. :)

Lol , thanks @mongoose33 I appreciate the info on the spike . I will definitely look into going with the 10. Only thing that a breaker for me is the size of batches my Grainfather can do . I dont think I could do back to back brews to make 10 gallons. I think a 10 gallon batch is pushing it on my set up.

Good luck with your license. I think it would be cool to do something like that .

have you considered a bar fridge and brew bucket? not to be a ass but using glycol to cool 40pints is pretty overkill when you really think about what your trying to achieve plus you have space concerns and typically and diy glycol with a conical sitting beside it takes up the most floor space of the options. i love my cf15 but the main reason for upgrading was because i do 18g batches often and didnt like dealing with 3 carboys. even with the cf15 i could not justify glycol as there were already solutions made for this exact purpose (fridge/freezer). cheers

Last edited:
I want to be able to lager and cold crash . If I do a lager I have to use my carboy instead of my fast ferment conical because it wont fit . Also I have to take it over to my daughters to put in the chest freezer . As I agree glycol chiller for 1200 is over kill but for 200-300 $ and a smaller foot print then a chest freezer i think it's the way to go. I have a 7.9 fastferment ,(1) 6 gal carboy and two 5 gallon carboys

I want to be able to lager and cold crash . If I do a lager I have to use my carboy instead of my fast ferment conical because it wont fit . Also I have to take it over to my daughters to put in the chest freezer . As I agree glycol chiller for 1200 is over kill but for 200-300 $ and a smaller foot print then a chest freezer i think it's the way to go. I have a 7.9 fastferment ,(1) 6 gal carboy and two 5 gallon carboys

if it works for you carry on. cheers

@Blazinlow86 . Sorry if I came off rude bro, was not my intention. The cf5 would go where my other fermenters are right now . I will be giving the carboys away. The size of glycol I seen wasnt too big . Its smaller then the little chest freezer I use once in a while. I do appreciate yours and everyone's opinion . I know everybody has the best intentions on helping out people here. I appreciate ya. :yes:

@Blazinlow86 . Sorry if I came off rude bro, was not my intention. The cf5 would go where my other fermenters are right now . I will be giving the carboys away. The size of glycol I seen wasnt too big . Its smaller then the little chest freezer I use once in a while. I do appreciate yours and everyone's opinion . I know everybody has the best intentions on helping out people here. I appreciate ya. :yes:
Oh no problem I didn't think you were being rude and I hope my posts didn't come off as being a smartass either. Cheers

I followed the instructions online and it was really easy . Hopefully I spliced the right wires and 20190528_181942.jpg 20190528_182113.jpg 20190528_183114.jpg 20190528_184258.jpg 20190528_184920.jpg 20190528_185918.jpg 20190601_121251.jpg 20190601_121305.jpg it will run once I get water and gylcol put in.

Back