DIY Fermentation/Lagering Cabinet planning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrRanger95

Reaction score
I am fairly new to homebrewing but now have a few ales under my belt and want to start improving the process as well as get into lagers.

I have a plan to build a a small cabinet that is just large enough to hold one brew bucket and in the future a 6.5gal carboy with airlock. I would like this box to get do to around 35f if possible. I will use styrofoam/foam board insulation to insulate the box, What r-value do you suggest. Second I like to take the guts of a mini fridge and control the compressor directly from a Love temperature controller, somehow I will have to remove or override the existing temperature controller.

I would like any feedback from any one who has any experience in a project of this type and know if it is or isn't possible.

Hi

The compressor and "stuff" from a 1 cubic foot fridge will have a hard time with a 5 cubic foot box regardless of the insulation thickness. A lot depends on what you start with and just how big this box is going to be.

Bob

Bob thanks for the info this is why I started this thread. I want to make sure I have everything in place to make this a successful project. I am going for a minimalist box here. I want it to be only as big as it absolutely has to be. I am not sure of how tall a 6.5gal carboy with airlock is but i was leaning to a space with a 14"x14" base and 28"-30" height. This should be between 3-4 cubic feet. I am planning to use the compressor from one of those taller fridges that has around the same cubic space on the inside. I had seen them on craigslist for around $60. Most of them have the cubic feet i am looking for but he hump in the back prevents me from just using it by itself.

Hi

Around here small chest freezers show up for the same sort of price. They are ideal for what you want to do. Nothing to build / tear apart / mess with. You will need a temperature controller for either one, so that's a wash.

Bob

Back