DIY Fermentation Chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

redrocker652002

Reaction score
Being at work, and not having much to do right now, I got to thinking and searching the internet. I came up with a link and an idea. Has anybody made their own ferm chamber out of sheet foam insulation and run the heater and cooling fan into it? My thought is to make a frame out of 2x4's and then use the sheet insulation to seal it. Run the Inkbird temp controller I have into it and hook up a heater and fan. I have a bunch of scrap 2x4's that could work and it would be a cool DIY project. I might just go with it and see what I can come up with. Nothing lost if it doesn't work out. RR

Whisky River

Reaction score
There is always the classic Son of a Fermentation Chamber. I think it’s made from sheet insulation. Might have some ideas you could use in your build.

(Thanks to RM-MN for the link)

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

redrocker652002

Reaction score
There is always the classic Son of a Fermentation Chamber. I think it’s made from sheet insulation. Might have some ideas you could use in your build.

(Thanks to RM-MN for the link)
Awesome that is what i was thinking no need to recreate the wheel, lol

CascadesBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What will you use for your "cooling fan"? An insulated box with a heater is easy and cheap. A solution for cooling is more of a challenge and usually most of the expense of a fermentation chamber.

FWI, I picked up a chest freezer for $25 a while back. After it stopped working, it is now a large insulated box that I use with an Inkbird + Seedling mat to keep beers heated above ambient temps. It works very well for that purpose. An insulated box or blankets would likely work just as well.

I have a friend with one of those DIY chambers. My view is that you can get a much better solution without spending much additional money with a used chest freezer.