DIY False Bottom. Where to get mesh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheektronic

Reaction score
I've been losing almost a gallon every batch because I use an auto siphon and don't want to suck up cold break. My bk is a 10 gallon tamale steamer, so it has a rolled bead for a steaming rack to rest. My only obstacle is I'm not sure where to source this small amount of fine mesh. Any thoughts?

image-1667630846.jpg

image-1928356384.jpg

You're bound to have a couple scrap metal places nearby - can be fun to stroll through them and see projects you don't wanna take on.

go stainless, cheap and safe. You can find guys on ebay selling small sections of mesh. The standard size on ebay seems be 12"x"12 but i've e-mailed the sellers asking for different sizes.

Amazon. Something like this might work:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H3GQUI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I got a 12x24 sheet of 9x9, myself, and for about the same amount. It seems like price varies a good bit. I tried to calculate out the % of open space on the standard false bottoms (3/32 holes on 5/32 spacing, iirc?) and roughly match that.

I have to admit, I've since switched my setup and only used it briefly. My cutting left something to be desired, so the fit wasn't perfect. Not bad, just not ideal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking mesh may be too fine and cause a stuck sparge. A lab or chemical engineering site probably has more of what we are looking for in terms of hole spacing and diameter. If the holes are 3/32 on 5/32 centers in a commercial false bottom thats a fairly good open to closed ratio. I would try to find a strainer at a restaurant supply for the fryer grease of something similar to modify. I would try to put about a 2 inch lift in the rim so the edge goes all the way down on the full circumference and has a 2 inch dead space to allow the wort to accumulate without too much turbulence. I think unfortunately the "time spent to return on investement" on your effort is probably going to be a losing deal on this one. A one off false bottom is a tough thing to make. I am a die hard tinkerer and as a project it would be fun if I decided that I wanted to build one to see if I could, but a commercial unit is definately way faster and well engineered already if you want to return to brewing faster. Just some thoughts, since I am going to have to cross that bridge too soon too. Thanks for the thought provoking topic.
Bob

I use a 14" round piece of stainless 25-25 mesh screen laid over my NB false bottom. No problem with stuck sparges and no solids in my run-off.

Why not just do a whirlpool (without the existing FB in the kettle) and let the wort stand in the kettle for 15-20mins. This will give you a decent trub cone in the middle of the kettle and you can siphon from the sides of the kettle.

processhead said:
I use a 14" round piece of stainless 25-25 mesh screen laid over my NB false bottom. No problem with stuck sparges and no solids in my run-off.

Mcmaster Carr online. They have everything you need if you can't find it local. I just bought some for the same reason except I go from kettle to bucket to fermentor in order to filter the most trub out. Also helps with my aeration.

Back