DIY Electric Brew Kettle with Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brounds24

Reaction score
Not an electrician nor do i know much about electrical work. I have a few questions about my setup (dont want to burn the entire block to the ground). I need to know if i can hook my heating element (5500W 240V) to a 110 plug which i readily have available, if so what AMP does my temp controller need to support. If I must use 220 plug, am i correct in saying i need a controller that can hold 25Amps (Watts =Amps x Volts)

Please see the picture below for reference:

2.png

For starters, you'll want to move this to the electric forum.

Yes, you can use 110, but you'll get about one quarter of the power.

What you ask about "what amp does this need to be" shows that you have a very minimal idea of electrical work. Not a put down, but you need to do a lot more study and research before doing this kind of project. For example, you have nothing drawn to indicate a ground wire or a gfi breaker. Both of those are essential.

Please, please read through some of the builds on the above forum to get some ideas of what you can and can't do.

What size kettle? If you plan on doing 5 gallon batches you will want 220V to your coil or you will not be able to boil 6 or 7 gallons of water/wort. I have a 5500W element and it pulls ~24 amps at full output. I would, and did, get everything rated at 30 amps.

What size kettle? If you plan on doing 5 gallon batches you will want 220V to your coil or you will not be able to boil 6 or 7 gallons of water/wort.

well, yes and no.

a single 120v element will have a hell of a time trying to boil 5-6 gallons nicely. 2 2000w elements work just fine, or even w 1500w elements.

Brounds24, no offense, but you definitely don't have the electrical know-how to build something like this safely. You could literally inure or kill yourself or someone else. Your best bet if you're trying to save money is to offer an electrician a case of homebrew to help you out.

Back