Diy counterflow chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakwi

Reaction score
So I want to put together a chiller the professionally put together chillers all seem to be 1/2 inch copper, where as the diys tend to be 3/8. I looked at putting one together out of half inch, but it is going to cost more than a $100.

Has anyone out there used both sizes that can comment on the differences? Is it worth the extra cost for the 1/2"? How long does it take to gravity feed through 20 ft of 3/8"? Thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Depends on batch size. Ive got 3/8" copper line in a garden house built as a counterflow chiller. Even in summer it pulls me down to 75 degrees. Cool enough to pitch yeast and havent had a bad batch yet.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks Ajax, I'm doing 10 gal batches, it took me 45 to 60 to get to 110f with the immersion chiller. Sounds like 3/8s will get me to temp but it will probably take 40-60 min. Maybe the 1/2 inch is worth it. Has anyone used one? How long to drain 10 gal through it?

I bought a 50' roll of 1/4" tubing and it gets the job done well. I haven't timed it, maybe 10-15 min for 6 gal of wort. 1/2 inch seems way too big to be efficient in a 5 gallon batch.

Gravity feeding an immersion chiller probably wont be a fast process.

Back