DIY chiller control, can I just use the temp probe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I am building a Chiller out of a spare AC I had around currently I have it runnning by putting the temp probe in front of a space heater... On eco mode it runs perfectly. shuts off the condenser fan and compressor when the probe is cold and turns everything on at once when the probe is hot...

Can't I keep the stock electronics and switch the thing by shorting out the temperature probe? I'm not sure if it will give an error or just cycle when triggered.

5379_10100755812747388_2872511613187591272_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/dan.fostel/videos/10100755815516838/

I would still want thermo control to hold it at 35* or whatever. But I'm guessing the AC's controller already has a built in short cycle timer just need a mechanical on off for the temp probe.

Most AC's have an auto shut off when the probe gets below a certain temperature. A friend of mine has a walk in ferm chamber which uses and ac with a coolbot for temp control. It actually uses a cartridge heater to tick the ac into thinking it's warmer in the chamber than is it.

Site for info: http://storeitcold.com/

that cool bot thing is pretty "cool" but over $300 ouch lol. guess this might not be as easy as i was hoping it was. I can essentially build the same device for about $75 with a johnson A419 and the worlds smallest heater taped to the probe.

But if you just relocate the probe from the coils it works fine and you won't have to dick with heaters for it.

Edit: and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011296704/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 to control the AC unit

this is true as long as my garage is over 64*(lowest setting on the control) I dont know how the AC will like being unplugged and plugged back in again... I'll have to see if it comes back on to the power saver when plugged in.

Otherwise... gota chop the wires. UGH

EDIT: it does come back on! at least short term only being pwered down 10-20 sec. I wonder once the capacitors discharge if it will still come back on after a "power failure" style temp controller

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I was thinking you were talking about the cutoff from the evap coil sensor. You're right, gotta bypass the thermostat. It's super easy on a mechanical one but not sure about your fancy digital one with timer and stuff. Can you look on the back of the plate there and find a diagram to post?

so the fan motor looks easy. that is the three wires on the right (low, High, Turbo) Not sure why they ran a seperate wire for each speed yet though.

Yellow wire up top is labled COMP

L1 goes to the Cap and L2 goes to the outlet

It did power up in run mode even after being off for a few hours.... I think We are going to leave all this stuff in tact and just keep the temp probe warmer than 64*

Back