DIY Brew Stand Design plans??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oo7cable

Reaction score
Anyone have a DIY Design plan for any brew stands?

I just got a new welder and I'm itching to use it!!!!

I searched, but "brew stand" is not exactly narrowing it down!!!!

Point me in the right direction!! Thanks fellas!!!

Oh..And anyone in the SoCal area in need of welding?? Hit me up!! I'll be more than happy to help!

I built a brewstand, simple 3 tier design. I did a little sketch and winged most of it. The biggest thing you need to consider is unique to your epuiment. If you are going to siphon or gravity drain make sure your bottom is high enough for your tallest fermenter.

DSCF6550 (600x800).jpg

Most people don't have plans - they just make them for a certain length, width and height based on room and equipment. There really is not much to it. Weld up some steel square tube in a configuration you like and after you decide if you're gravity or pump fed. That's probably the #1 factor in stand design.

Thanks guys!

One of these days Jon, I'm gonna have to get down to your place for a brew day!
Lincoln AC-225 Arc welder. Its way over kill for home use, but the price was right - Free!

Take a look at the links in my signature. I have the dimensions in my build thread.

What kind of welder did you pick up?

Here is a pseudo clone of Jon's stand we are building for a customer. It's a sturdy design and the plans are well done.

taekwondd said:
I built a brewstand, simple 3 tier design. I did a little sketch and winged most of it. The biggest thing you need to consider is unique to your epuiment. If you are going to siphon or gravity drain make sure your bottom is high enough for your tallest fermenter.

After doing some design work and research of my own, yours is almost exactly what I plan to build. I plan on using 7.5 gallon kettles, and a 10 Gallon MLT. Nice build BTW!

I like that two tier design! I'd love to see your plans!

Also, What type of steel did everyone use?

I see square tubing, but what about angle iron?

oo7cable said:
I like that two tier design! I'd love to see your plans!

IMO square tubing is easier to work with, looks better, and not much more expensive.

I used 1" x 3" tubing and 1" x 1" with some miscellaneous flat steel. I got it from a friend for free, he even delivered it! :rockin: For my next rig I plan on building a stair step design and using channel steel, that way I can run my gas tubing in the channel so it's less visible, and wheels, definitely wheels.

taekwondd, I really like this setup. I'm looking to do a simple, no-pump brew stand, and have been hard pressed to find a good looking one, except for this. I was wondering, do you have two burners, or do you just move the burner in-between the HLT and brew kettle? Also, I assume you have no problems with heat from the burner effecting the plastic mashtun?

Thanks!!

I used square tubing, Mainly because I got a lot of it free, and the rest I sourced from the remnant table at the metal store. You will be really surprised to see what ends up on those tables, I have built a lot of stuff off of those tables for cheap,
as far as design, mine is a hybrid tower system. I wanted a few things, so I just sat down and drew designs till I got the general idea, then started welding.

I wanted my brew kettle up high enough to gravity feed into my fermenter
I did not want to have to handle a mash tun full of grain higher than 4 feet
my hot liquor tank was going be below the mash tun so my center of gravity was low.

Mine is a 5 gallon system, I use 8 gallon kettles and a 10 gallon igloo for the mash tun. Am devising a herms system for it right now, I honestly think I could fit in bigger kettles for a 10 gallon system but would want a wider footprint for the weight.

and that is why you should look at a lot of designs in some of the DIY threads here and go for it

My foot print is 15 1/2 by 44

biggest advantage I had while building mine was I was able to easily change details while I bought my equipment. I was not set into a situation that I had to buy for my design. I was able to save a lot of money by shopping hard for deals.

Back