DIY Bar / Tap / Keezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liveadv

Reaction score
New to homebrewing:tank:, about 4 batches in so far. I decided early on to go straight to kegging as i wasn't interested in the hassle of bottling. So basically as soon as i had my first brewday, the wheels were turning as to how i was going to set things up.

since i am in an old house (120+ years) and space is limited, i decided to have my keezer in the unfinished basement. Bought a 5cf holiday at Lowes for a good price. drilled a hole in the lid, and ran 3 lines in pipe insulation up through the floorboards into the first floor. I had previously built a side table in our dining room to house our liquor/wine/glassware, as well as use for storage. so the taps were easily added to this spot, and all lines are concealed.

being the creative and hands on type, i wanted to do something a little different with taps/faucet from the standard tower setup. i had the hairbrained idea to use some old iron pipes that i found in the basement, and with some sweat and agony:cross:, finally managed to get 3 pipes with elbows on them. took quite a considerable amount of time to figure out a means to attach the faucet/shank to the pipe:confused:, but finally came across an electrical fixture adapter that has a screw in it to secure things in place. i wrapped the shanks in foam drawer liner, inserted snuggly into the pipe, then tightened the screw down. there is no play whatsoever in the tap, even if i put some similated drunken roughhousing on the handle.

i'm sure there are a million things i did wrong, as i'm not totally up on the science of balancing my lines, and the appropriate pressure/line length etc. in the end i decided to not use glycol or any cooling as when tested, it turned out that i only have about 2oz in lines outside of the keezer at any given time, and i'm not that concerned about it.

will be making some custom tap handles and a drip tray soon.

all in all i'm totally pleased with the outcome and stoked to fill the keezer. i currently have an amber on tap #1, and will have a pale ale for #2 ready this weekend.

hope you all enjoy it :mug:- i'm having a blast getting into the hobby! :rockin: i'd love to hear what you think of my setup, and ask any questions you might have. hopefully i havent done anything that would anger the beer gods. haha

5513434397_9c589d771e.jpg

5513434253_9e8d2c0fa1.jpg

Now that looks pretty awesome! I'd thought about running taps from the fridge, but always thought the length of line outside would make a whole pint foam up. If its only a couple of ounces, I can handle a little more foam on the first pint! I'm curious to see what you come up with for a drip tray. I've seen a few on here that look pretty nice, and you could really get fancy if you decided to cut into the counter.

I actually dont have any foam issues. Pours beautifully. All said and done my lines are about 8ft long. I haven't had to dump any yet. By the time the pint is full it's definitely cold enough for me. It's set at 11psi.

Not sure about the drip tray buri have a few ideas. Will have to look around to see what others have done.

Thanks for all the kind words!

looks incredible. I seem to remember someone trying a long run like this before and it working for a while, but then he had problems with foam. I really hope yours stays operational because it looks top of the line...

I wonder what would cause it to start foaming over time? Maybe an overcarbed keg?

I have 10 gallons through the lines so far without issue. Time will tell.

Well to join the rest of the congratulators, I gotta say that you have a really neat, clean build there. The copycat/homage stuff we see here a bunch is usually gorgeous, but it is always refreshing to see an entirely new design! Also, I love to hear of your low-tech success as far as the uncooled line length...I've got a cellar under my kitchen sink just begging for a keezer!

sweet setup!
do you remember what those elbows were? & where you got them? I've been looking for a good way to connect a shank to a pipe for a while... and keep coming up empty.

That is really intriguing, I like it. I wish I had a lower floor to pull something off like that. I have a utility closet behind my bar, and I have measured a few times and it is just not happening. I am still curious, in the long haul, still like it? I was always worried about the lines getting to warm, but that doesnt sound like it is causing many (if any) problems.

Back