DIY Air Conditioner kegerator info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewCrewKevin

Reaction score
So I have a few questions to make sure I understand all of this correctly. I have a terrible time finding information on these window AC air conditioner units.

So I have a 5000 BTU Haier windowshaker that I'd like to build into a kegerator. I have it framed in already, but I want to make sure it's working properly first.

I tore all the wiring out, and I really feel like I understood it. From the wall, the black goes through the on/off switch, then through the thermostat, then splices off in parallel into the fan switch, where there are 2 wires that come off, orange (medium) and red (high). (hope that all makes sense)

However, I can't seem to get it to work right. If I hook it up and run the AC, it really seems like it's blowing somewhat cool air, but the coils never really feel cold. I thought maybe the fan was moving too much air, since it's not really enclosed yet, so I unhooked the orange and red wires, meaning the power just went through the thermostat and switch. I heard the compressor humming, but again after 15 mins or so, the coils don't really feel cold.

So I guess a few questions here:

1. First and foremost, what are your experiences with modifying window AC units? Should it be freezing right up if I let it run, or do they only get so cold?

2. Do I have a correct understanding of the wiring? Does anybody have wiring diagrams for similar units?

3. I'm also assuming 5000 BTUs is enough for this kegerator. It's large enough for 6 cornys, so that's... let's see... carry the 2... about 18" deep, 36" wide, and about 29" tall. Since mini fridges are like 100 BTUs, I'm assuming 5000 is enough.

THanks!

Back