Dixie Peach Concentrate Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjedifishx

Reaction score
Just started a 1 gallon batch of Peach wine from Trader Joe's "Dixie Peach" juice concentrate! I added 3 cups of sugar to reach an appropriate SG and added it in with the juice. I chose to use Montrachet yeast and within about 4 hours, she started bubbling away! To my surprise, Trader Joe's has a bunch of delicious flavors of juices without sorbates or sulfites so I have a feeling this won't be my last batch from there. Anyways, just wanted to share my excitement somewhere!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1501555934.197008.jpg

One of the problems that I've run into using nectars (e.g., peach or mango) is that the final wine tends to be cloudy and one may need to filter it to remove finely suspended fruit particles. Pectic enzyme helps but is not the cure-all.

One of the problems that I've run into using nectars (e.g., peach or mango) is that the final wine tends to be cloudy and one may need to filter it to remove finely suspended fruit particles. Pectic enzyme helps but is not the cure-all.

Yeah even after I've racked it's still cloudy and dropping sediment. Still happy to get my first wine in though! It's surprisingly simple from ingredients to fermenter.

I have tasted some now and it seems extremely strong and dry. The dry i was expecting while the potency not as much. The yeast attenuated super well and the wine turned out like a light liquor haha I'd rather have something more subtle. But either way it's been a good learning experience!

I made a gallon batch of Gauva Mango mead. From a jar of Gauva Mango jam from Costco. Its only been going a couple of months but is clearing nicely. I licked the hydrometer and it is delicious.
Cheers

I have tasted some now and it seems extremely strong and dry. The dry i was expecting while the potency not as much. The yeast attenuated super well and the wine turned out like a light liquor haha I'd rather have something more subtle. But either way it's been a good learning experience!

.i expected strong when I saw you added 3 cups of sugar to the gallon. I normall do two cups per gallon, .pI am suprise that it came out dry with three cups as im windering if some of the sugar has dropped to the bottom and gone unfermented, but as the saying goes its easy to sweeten a dry wine, it hard to unsweeten a sweet wine.

When I made wine using Dixie Peach, I used 2 C of sugar at start. The initial SG of the nectar was 1.052 and 1.083 after adding the sugar. I also tossed in 0.5 lb of dried apricots (to get rid of them). After 4 days, added another 2 C of sugar for new SG of 1.074. I used K1-V1116 yeast along with 1/2 t citric acid. Probably didn't need the acid, since the final TA was quite high---1.39%, about twice what is normal. The pH was 3.73 and the final SG was 1.005. The wine was a bit strong (tart) initially with lots of solids that didn't settle well. After aging 9 months, however, the taste greatly improved--especially after adding 1/2 t peach extract per 750 mL bottle. Probably won't make this again because of all the sludge that formed that could not be readily settled or filtered. Note that this nectar also contains apple, grape, and pineapple juices.

Back