Ditching the motorcycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david_42

Reaction score
I've been riding for 15 years and I think it's time to stop. Effectively I have, as it's been sitting in the garage waiting for a new battery for over a year. My left leg hasn't been the same since I dropped the bike on it two years ago. Also, I hate riding in the rain and that's 75% of the year around here.

Not the best time to be selling, but I can't see any advantage to keeping it until the economy improves.

That's too bad. I've been thinking about getting a used one cheap, mostly just to ride around town, but I just don't want to be in the way of idiots on the road (I've witnessed my fair share of stupid motorcycle accidents in my few years of life). And also I can't drive the kids to dance and whatnot on one, so it would get driven very little. It just seems like a fun thing to do once in a while.

I haven't ridden mine in nearly 4 years. But, I have burned through I dunno how many tanks of gas just to keep it wet.

I don;t really want to sell it cause it is paid for and not a very valuable bike but, I don;t forsee myself riding it within the next 4 years. Lest they start making baby seats for them.

Actually, she likes riding, but is fine with getting rid of it. She'd rather travel in the van, so we can take the dogs.

You just need a couple bikes with sidecars...

3429900441_b910b8f190.jpg

Kinda in the same boat. I might ride once a month...and that's to work and back. But, it's paid for and insurance is like 300 bucks a year (for a Harley Big Twin....I'm fine with that.) Only saving grace is my daughter is old enough to reach the foot pegs and therefore ride. We've made a couple short trips down some slow back roads and she loves it. So, Daddy will keep the bike.....for now.

Sidecars might work, except we're talking two mini-poodles and two over-sized greyhounds. Bad enough in the van.

No, it's CL time. I need to check the battery. I suspect it's dead. Also, there's a peg that needs replacing. Pressure wash and a little polish, then out the door. I'm hoping I can get enough to cover most of the cost painting the house.

Sorry to hear you are selling the bike . I haven't ridden as much as I would like this year either just a tad over 5k since March. Me and a friend are planning a ride down to FL in early October to see his family so I may put a few thousand more before it snow's. The bikes are paid for so its not a big deal if they sit a bit

I rode mine a total of 3 times this year! This doesn't justify the $650 for the plates that my government savagely rapes me with!!!
It was 250 just 3 years ago.
I see Harleys selling everywhere because of this, and for next to nothing so I won't sell it.

If I sold mine, I do believe SWMBO would commit husbandcide! We've put over 60,000 miles on it in the seven seasons we've owned it. Just stuck a chunk of money into it, too. I think I'll keep mine.

glenn514:mug:

If I sold mine, I do believe SWMBO would commit husbandcide! We've put over 60,000 miles on it in the seven seasons we've owned it. Just stuck a chunk of money into it, too. I think I'll keep mine.

8500+ miles a year! AND you live in Illinois!!!
What are you 12 years old with a metal ass?

I'm 48 now and even when I started riding as a teenager, a f@$#en great year was 5000 miles! WTF?

I sold my V Strom 1000 a couple months ago in preparation for our move overseas. Of course my orders were delayed and now I am stuck with out a bike. It is killing me. I hate not having my bike. Living in San Diego, weather is usually not an issue and I use to ride year round.

Good luck with your sale.

I've been riding for 15 years and I think it's time to stop. Effectively I have, as it's been sitting in the garage waiting for a new battery for over a year. My left leg hasn't been the same since I dropped the bike on it two years ago. Also, I hate riding in the rain and that's 75% of the year around here.

Not the best time to be selling, but I can't see any advantage to keeping it until the economy improves.

I recommend something with some soul and character.

08_apr_ducati_monster_05.jpg

moto_guzzi_breva_1100_2005_1l.jpg

2009-aprilia-sxv-5.5-550-mo.jpg

KTM%20990%20Super%20Duke%20R%2007%20%201.jpg

100BMW-HP2-Megamoto.jpg

triumph-street-triple-1.jpg

There's two things all but the last have in common. I highly suggest them.

Sh*t David, you've years left! I did an IronButt 1000 then a 1500 at 63. See the shiny thing on my right leg in my profile pix? That's a leg brace from 1964. Damn, I wish you were closer, we'd ride and you'd get pumped. I say f*ck the rain, the sun is just on the otherside...

Memorex88 and all...

Nope, not a young kid. In fact, we are retired. The bike is a Honda Gold Wing, so the butt is nicely cradled. And, at last count, the bike has been in fourteen states. Rode it all the way out to Mt. Rushmore and Devil's Tower a few years ago, and even stopped in Sturgis, S.D. If the weather is good, we usually take a ride every day. When the weather is crappy, I brew!

Not a matter of monkey butt or anything other than the simple fact that I'm not riding and haven't been riding. I doubt I've put 1000 miles on it in the six years I've been in Oregon. I rode it a lot more down in the Bay area. Part of the problem is it's useless for general transportation here, as 95% of my monthly trips are 100-150 miles and the short ones are just for groceries. Can't haul anything much in the saddlebags. In Sunnyvale, I would ride it to work or close-in activities.

And I really hate riding in the rain. That's 9 months of the year.

The SHMBO and I just got back from a 6300 mile trip from South Texas through Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, Main, and came back through The Blue Ridge Parkway and finished up with a run on the Tail Of The Dragon, then went to Hilton Head Island, SC. Then rode home in two days. I know that sometimes it seems like a necessity to get rid of a bike but not for me. It's our time together with no kids, work, bille, or any other distractions.

Tried lots of local beer every where we went. Yum!!!

I'm on the opposite end.. I'd love to get a bike, but I don't think I would ever enjoy riding as I'd always be worried about the other aholes on the road. I know 2 people who have died just being in the wrong place and have seen a few other accidents... For now I stick with my 4 wheeler off road..

I recommend something with some soul and character.

08_apr_ducati_monster_05.jpg

moto_guzzi_breva_1100_2005_1l.jpg

2009-aprilia-sxv-5.5-550-mo.jpg

KTM%20990%20Super%20Duke%20R%2007%20%201.jpg

100BMW-HP2-Megamoto.jpg

triumph-street-triple-1.jpg

There's two things all but the last have in common. I highly suggest them.

I am thinking yes, yes, OH MY, yea, yes and yes. Euro bikes SMOKE American bike style.

no marriage is worth getting rid of yer bike!:rockin:

whats that dear?leave the computer alone and do the dishes? yes dear:D

My fleet is mothballed at the moment, I have many scoots, (Buell, HD, BMW, BSA, Honda, Weslake, Triumph, and a Liberty Sport sidecar) I have roadraced and speedway!
HexSidways_.jpg

I find you need a "quick launch" shelter. when a bike gets burried in the garage it disappears, battery dies. and you start to question if it even runs anymore.

The trick is to have it easily accessable so you can jump on for short running errands trips. Fun while going to the store!

Mine sits ready to launch, thats the only way it get ridden. That said, Its a 2003 kawasaki z1000 with over 100K miles now :rockin:

^^ +1 ^^

This is a great idea for people who don't use their bike as daily transport. I've had a few friends give up on riding lately who used to ride almost as much as I do (about 15K per year). I find that their problem is since they are only riding on weekends and off time, and not commuting somewhere, they turn riding anywhere into a big production.

me: "Wanna go jam?"
them: "Where are we going to go?"
me: "I dunno. West, maybe?"
them: "What are we going to do?"
me: "Ride? We can stop and grab a beer and some lunch."
them: "How long are we going to be gone?"
me: "WHO GIVES A F*#&! Do you want to go or not?"
them: "Do you think its cold enough to need a jacket?"
me: "Forget it."

If you just do it for fun, then let it be fun. Much like homebrewing, it can be a fun, relaxing, and rewarding hobby.

RDWJR
(relax, don't worry, just ride)

Back