Distilling Conditioner (defoaming agent)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulbill

Reaction score
Hi All,

Has anyone used this before for home brewing? It is made by stillspirits.

I got it at my LHBS when asking him about boilover when doing my 10gall batches in my 15gal boil kettle.

He says he uses it with great results. He does not have fermcap.

the label ingredients state the following:
Silicone
Propylene glycol(1520)

The stuff looks milky white. I have never seen fermcap. Is it similar looking?

Here is the wiki on propylene glycol
Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is the data sheet for fermcap
http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/p...ontrol/FermCap S 5D01530 PDS Apr07 Update.pdf

I could not find a datasheet for the distilling conditioner.
Could the silicone listed in the ingredients be similar to the Polydimethylsiloxane mentioned in the fermcap datasheet?

Polydimethylsiloxane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks in advance.
Paulbill

I wonder if that is the same as the Five Star Defoamer 105 sold by AHS - it is also milky white - didn't see any ingredients on the label, though. At any rate, I've used the 105 and I'm still alive. :)

I'd be a bit worried if it was aimed at distilling. Whatever's in there won't be ingested after distillation, unless it volatilizes. Propylene glycol's boiling point is like 180 degrees C, meaning very little would make it into the distilled product. Silicone wouldn't make it into the distilled product at all.

Thanks to all those that answered.

I am going to give it a try on my next brew boil and see if it even really works.

Laters

paulbill

Back