Distilling Beer with Grainfather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juandela

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am going to attempt to distill some canned beer. How important is it to limit oxidization as I empty the cans?

Hey all,

I am going to attempt to distill some canned beer. How important is it to limit oxidization as I empty the cans?
If you plan to empty them directly into the grainfather, there is no concern about oxidation. What kind of beer are you using? The reason I'm asking is that I have read that hoppy beers can throw nasty flavors when distilled. In this regard macrobrewed light, fizzy, flavorless American lager would be fine though I can't speak to the flavor qualities such cheap beer will deliver in the finished product.

haha... good call. I have three cases of Dogfish Head Namaste that is ready to go. I work in the beer industry and have access to beer at reduced prices.

I'm a homebrewer and although I think I can already make a higher quality wash than many who get into the distilling game NOT from the homebrewer angle. Ultimately, this is what made me decide to pull the trigger on the dome and distilling arm: https://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/5/18/11693112/beer-whiskey-craft-pa-wheat-ale-arcane

The only thing that got me was the amount of hops oil in my still.
Took me some serious cleaning to rid it so I could run my next batch of bourbon without any off flavors.

I think I should build a small scale boiler to run just beer, I do however use a thumper to eliminate having to do strip runs on delicate fruit washes and rums.

I may talk to my lhbs/brewery and see the cost on a 15 gal batch.

Back