distillers / high diastatic power malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manninagh

Reaction score
I got hold of 1 KG of 'High Power Diastatic Malt'. (I ordered it when somewhat 'refreshed'.) I put it in a stout mash with 1 KG Crisp 'Best Ale', 2 KG Golden Promise extra pale, 1 KG torrified barley, 0.5 KG UK 60L crystal and 0.5 KG roast barley. Mashed at 148. Bittered with EKG & added EKG & Mandarin Bavaria later. Pitched K-97. OG was 1.069. (Expected 1.062 max)). It's cold where I am so I had to pitch at around 50F. Left it at that temp and I've just replaced a blow-off tube that was full of crud after 24 hours. I'm impressed with the extraction rate - I'm often under, but was expecting a slower fermentation. It is many years since I went much over 1.055 OG. Is such a vigorous fermentation normal? Anyone else got such good returns with Hi-DP malt? What's it going to taste like?

I've used distillers malt in similar mode; I ordered 10# once when I was "refreshed". Used it up as no more than 5-10% of grist brewing w some adjuncts.

Is a good way to add diastic power if one is making a corn based beer or similar. Never brewed it in a high percentage of mash, so can't comment on flavor.

The malt is intended to add enzymes mainly to non enzyme containing starches, with the eventual end being to distill resulting mash to a liquor product. It will make beer, for sure, does it taste good? That's your call,... let us know how it turns out. {;

Well, 60 hours in and it's filled the blow-off tube with crud twice. Ambient temp hasn't been over 43F for the last two days. Quite happy with the crud coming out - was a bit heavy handed with the hops.

Back