Distilled water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdr01

Reaction score
Messed up on my full boil volume and ended up about three quarts short. I wanted to have five gallons in the fermenter. I added three quarts of distilled water to make up the difference. OG was right on target after adding water. Will I have an issue with the distilled water addition? I did not boil it for sanitation and figured it would be OK but now I am concerned. Wait and see?

I know a guy who regularly tops up his carboys with water from his garden hose without problems or at least he doesn't admit to it. So you should be just fine...
I imagine distilled water is quite sanitary right from the bottle anyways.

I always chill a couple sealed gallons of spring water in the fridge a couple days before brew day to top off with. no problems.

Topped off extract kits lots of times with new, sealed jugs of distilled.
You'll be fine

Yep, same as this. I've topped off a number of my extract brews with unboiled distilled (sealed and unsealed) and never had an issue. RDWHAHB.

Distilled water is made by steam distillation and is sealed sanitary. No issues. Most bottled waters are wither steam distilled, UV or Ozone sanitized, all of those techniques are as good or better than boiling tap water.

Used to top off my extract brews with distilled water from the store all the time. Never had an infection. I figured they had to sanitize it before shipping somehow to prevent off-flavors. Dunno if I was right but I never had an infection from it.

As is illustrated in post #11, they use various methods to sanitize the water & jugs. White House Artesian springs, for example, uses UV & Ozone in the delivery system. Never a problem with theirs as long as my jugs were clean & sanitized with Starsan before heading over there to fill them. The giant Eagle waters have been great so far as well. Never a problem.:mug:

Latest posts

Back