Dissolving DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parratt1

Reaction score
Hey all,
The other day while brewing I was adding my DME and it kept gumming all up around the bag opening I made as the steam would rise up to it making it a PITA to get into the cooker. Do any of you maybe dissolve it in water and then pour it in the cooker as liquid? Dont know if it would work or not.....just kinda thinking out loud here.

You need a nice giant whisk. It will help you out tons. I have a ceramic bowl and/or 1 cup measuring cup and use that to add it. A lot easier then having the steam clog up the bag. Takes forever to add but thats what you get with DME.

Add a little at a time then whisk until dissolved. Then add some more until its all in there.

i had the same problem. just need to make a bigger hole in the bag and hold it open a little as you pour.

Dont add it to such hot water unless you have to, warm is fine. Dont cut a little hole in the bag, cut the whole top off and dump it in. Stir,stir, stir. Let it sit 5 min.. Stir. Wash your arm and stick it in there to make sure nothing is on the bottom that will burn (remember you used warm water). Wash the sticky stuff off your arm and turn on the burner! Stir occasionally until it boils, then it will stir itself.

The easiest thing to do is open the bag (make sure your hands are dry!) and pour it into a big dry bowl. When it's time to add it, it pours out easier from a bowl that the small bag that gums up right away. I have a 3# bag of DME I use for starters, and by doing that, I can reclose the bag and keep it in the cupboard and open it agaian and again.

Dont add it to such hot water unless you have to, warm is fine. Dont cut a little hole in the bag, cut the whole top off and dump it in. Stir,stir, stir. Let it sit 5 min.. Stir. Wash your arm and stick it in there to make sure nothing is on the bottom that will burn (remember you used warm water). Wash the sticky stuff off your arm and turn on the burner! Stir occasionally until it boils, then it will stir itself.

but remember that the higher your boil gravity the less utilization you get from your hops so it can be a big advantage to add your DME near the very end of your boil

Back