Disposal Grinding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wstaufe

Reaction score
Just took my first spin with a garbage disposal, but it seems to pulp the apples finely- to the point that the seeds seem to be crushed as well. This is not a desirable result, correct?

Correct, looking for more of a juice than a puree. Try coring the apples first to remove the seeds and stem.

That's ironic, I just finished my disposal grinder and the seeds came out largely whole. Maybe because they were small apples, the seeds were smaller too and fit through the grinder better.

Anyone using a Waste King Legned or Insinkerator Evolution who can comment on whether the seeds get ground?

I am trying to decide between these two disposals. I like that the Insinkerator has a stainless grinding chamber, but worry that the multi-stage grinding might be too fine. It is also expensive. The Waste King costs much less which is great, but has a nylon chamber and I don't know how food safe that is? I am also guessing it doesn't grind quite as fine as the Insinkerator, which might be good if not as many seeds get crushed?

Any reviews or opinions much appreciated!

Back